Former New Orleans Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams has joined the Tennessee Titans coaching staff as senior assistant/defense shortly after the NFL reinstated him from indefinite suspension for his role in the Bountygate scandal.
Williams started his NFL career with the Titans and coached them for 11 seasons from 1990-2000, including four years as defensive coordinator.
"I have known Gregg for over two decades and have seen him work his way up from a quality control coach to a head coach," Titans coach Mike Munchak said. "He will bring a great deal of defensive knowledge and energy to our staff. The decision to bring him here only came after going through a thoughtful and thorough process."
Williams will work with defensive coordinator Jerry Gray. They worked together previously with the Titans, Redskins and Bills, but in those instances Williams was either head coach (Bills) or coordinator (Titans, Redskins).
In Williams' final season in Tennessee, the Titans ranked first in the NFL in defense and second in scoring defense.
Williams has 23 years of NFL coaching experience, including three years as Bills head coach from 2001-03.
Williams, who was the Saints defensive coordinator from 2009-2011, was indefinitely suspended after admitting that he ran a bounty pool of up to $50,000 that rewarded players with thousand-dollar payoffs for knocking targeted opponents out of games.
Williams, the central figure in the New Orleans Saints' bounty scandal, was told Thursday by the league that he has been reinstated and is free to work for the Titans in the role of senior assistant/defense.
Earlier, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell notified Williams and the Tennessee Titans that his contract with the Titans has been approved and that he has been reinstated.
The commissioner cited several reasons for the reinstatement, "including Williams' forthcoming acknowledgement of and acceptance of responsibility for his role in the bounty program at the Saints".
Also, the commissioner cited Williams' commitment to never again be involved in a pay-for-performance or bounty system and his pledge to teach safe play and respect for the rules at all levels of the game.
Goodell emphasized that Williams must fully conform to league rules and will be subject to periodic monitoring to confirm his compliance.
- Michael Vick Agrees to One-Year Restructured Deal with Eagles
- Newly Installed Device Blamed for Superdome Power Outage
- Eagles Plan to Keep Quarterback Michael Vick for Now
- Giants Waive Bradshaw and Canty to Clear Cap Space
- Ex-Saints Assistant Gregg Williams Reinstated, Joins Titans Coaching Staff
- Vikings RB Adrian Peterson Undergoes Surgery for Sports Hernia
- Ravens Celebrate Super Bowl XLVII Victory with Parade
- If Selected, Santa Clara Assures Power-Outage Free Super Bowl 50
- Joe Flacco, Justin Tucker Carry Ravens Past 49ers in Super Bowl XLVII
- Super Bowl XLVII Game Summary
- Flacco Named Super Bowl XLVII Most Valuable Player
- Jacoby Jones Has Record Night in Hometown Super Bowl
- Harbaugh: We've Got Resolve, That's Why We Won
- Super Bowl XLVII Ravens Head Coach John Harbaugh Post-Game Comments
- 49ers Coach: 'It Was a Heck of a Football Game'
- 49ers Head Coach Jim Harbaugh Post-Game Comments
- Super Bowl XLVII MVP Flacco: It's Pretty Cool
- Super Bowl XLVII MVP Joe Flacco Post-Game Interview
- Ravens QB Joe Flacco Caught Swearing on TV During Super Bowl Celebration
- Ravens John Harbaugh on the Turning Point of Super Bowl XLVII
- Video: Half of Super Dome Loses Power!
- Top Super Bowl XLVII Ads
- Unsung Heroes: Super Bowl XLVII
- Big-Time Moments from Super Bowl XLVII
- Playboy Super Bowl Party
- USA Today Picks Best Super Bowl XLVII Ads
- Super Bowl XLVII Commercials: Samsung - Rudd vs Rogen
- Super Bowl XLVII Commercials: Tide's Joe Montana Miracle Stain
- Go Daddy: 'The Kiss' Super Bowl XLVII TV Commercial
- Beyonce Reunites with Destiny's Child During Super Bowl XLVII Halftime Performance
- Jennifer Hudson and Alicia Keys Tweet About Super Bowl XLVII Performance
- Super Bowl XLVII: Records Set and Tied
- Jell-O: Still Sweet Delights for Losing Super Bowl XLVII Team's Fans
- Oh Brother! Coaching Harbaughs Downplay Super Bowl XLVII Rivalry
- Super Bowl XLVII Preview: Baltimore Ravens vs San Francisco 49ers
- How the Ravens Broke Through
- James Brown Breaks Down Super Bowl XLVII
- The Super Bowl for Dummies
- Ravens Practice Pool Report - Jan 31, 2013
- 49ers Practice Pool Report - Jan 31, 2013
- Super Bowl XLVII Commercials Preview
- What Does a Super Bowl Ad Cost?
- Super Bowl XLVII Commercials: E-Trade Baby Has Time of His Life
- Super Bowl XLVII Commercials: Go Daddy - Refaeli's Serious Lip-Lock with a Nerd
- Super Bowl XLVII Commercials: Teaser Super Bowl Ads Add Hype
- Super Bowl XLVII Commercials: Rogen and Rudd's Ideas Stifled in Super Bowl Ad
- Behind-the-scenes of Got Milk's First Super Bowl Ad
- Doritos Crash the Superbowl Contest
- Best Super Bowl XLVII Ads Preview
- Super Bowl XLVII Commercials: Big Money SBXLVII Ads
- Nantz and Simms on Calling Super Bowl XLVII
- Ravens react to Ray Lewis PED story
- Ravens Practice Pool Report - Jan 30, 2013
- 49ers Practice Pool Report - Jan 30, 2013
- 49ers Randy Moss Unhappy in His Role
- Super Bowl Rings on Display at the NFL Experience
- NFL Intensifies Crackdown, Nets $13.6M Worth of Fake Merchandise
- Packers Wide Receiver Donald Driver Announces Retirement
- 49ers Cornerback Culliver Against Having Gay Teammates
- Carolina Panthers Ask State for $62M for Stadium Renovation
- Falcons Want Tight End Tony Gonzalez to Forgo Retirement
- Joe Flacco in Hot Water for 'Winter Bowl' Comment
- Kickers Could Play Major Role in Super Bowl
- 49ers Cool and Calm During Super Bowl Media Day
- Talking with the 49ers at Super Bowl Media Day
- Weirdest Super Bowl Prop Bets
- Placing Bets on the Super Bowl
- Coach Speak: 'D' the Key for 49ers
- Viral Video: Celebrity genie in Toyota's Super Bowl Spot
- Is Volkswagen's Super Bowl Ad Racist?
- Super Bowl XLVII: Ravens Coach Harbaugh on Media Day
- Ravens' Flacco on Super Bowl XLVII
- Ravens Linebacker Ray Lewis Denies Using PEDs to Heal Torn Triceps
- Majority of NFL Players Unhappy with NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell
- Hits, Fines at Issue: Ravens Pollard Sees NFL's Demise in 30 years
- Bettors Put Their Money on 49ers QB Colin Kaepernick
- Niners Wideout Michael Crabtree Won't Face Sex Assault Charges
- Wideout Titus Young Continues Twitter Rant vs Lions
- NFL Pressured Man to Give Up 'Harbowl' Trademark
- Joe Flacco Answers His Critics
- Can the 49ers Contain Ray Rice?
- Kaepernick on Tattoos, Alex Smith and His New Verb
- 49ers Quarterback Gives Back To Hometown of Turlock
- Baltimore Has Purple Fever, And Only Prescription is More Ravens
- Ravens Preparing for Matchup With 49ers
- 49er Fever
- Harbaugh Family Talks Brother vs Brother Super Bowl
- Harbaugh Family Reacts to Brothers Coaching Super Bowl Teams
- Ravens Ozzie Newsome on Ray Lewis
- Super Bowl XLVII Predictions
- Superbowl Commercial Season Starts Pre-Game
- Dog Tries to Win Doritos Super Bowl Contest
- Kate Upton's Sexy Super Bowl Ad
- Super Bowl Ads: The Best and The Worst
- Ravens Safety Ed Reed to Play Next Season
- Cap-Strapped Jets May Be Forced to Trade Darrelle Revis
Copyright © 2013 AHN - All Rights Reserved