East Rutherford, NJ
Despite missing the playoffs for the third straight year under his watch, the New York Jets are keeping Rex Ryan as their head coach for next season.
Ryan will be back despite previous speculation that the coach would be fired after this season.
A well-connected source added that the atmosphere surrounding Ryan's status has turned from negative to positive.
However, it was unclear whether Ryan would coach next season on the last year of his contract or whether the Jets will give him an extension.
According to persons close to Ryan, the head coach would prefer an extension.
Ryan is nearing the completion of his fifth season with the Jets, who finished the NFL 2013 season with an 8-8 record after their upset 20-7 victory over the Miami Dolphins.
Although they have exceeded expectations this season, the Jets have missed the playoffs in each of the past three years under Ryan, who owns a 41-38 career record. New York advanced to the AFC Championship Game in each of its first two seasons with Ryan.
Ryan has received consistent backing from Jets owner Woody Johnson and despite their rocky campaign, he has gotten along just fine with first-year general manager John Idzik.
Aside from Ryan's deal, another issue facing the Jets is that at least a half dozen assistant coaches, including defensive coordinator Dennis Thurman, are working on expiring contracts.
Rex Ryan returns in 2014
Rex Ryan, out of the playoffs for a third straight season, will return as New York Jets Head Coach in 2014
Receive our NFL News & Analysis by email by subscribing here
- Brandon Boykin Saves Day as Eagles Clinch NFC East
- Aaron Rodgers and Randall Cobb Connect as Packers Beat Bears
- NFL 2013 Week 17: The Week That Was
- Bucs Dismiss Schiano and GM Mark Dominik
- Browns Fire Head Coach Rob Chudzinski After One Season
- Jets Retain Rex Ryan as Head Coach
- NFL 2013 Wild Card and Divisional Playoff Schedule
- Houston Texans Hold First Pick in 2014 NFL Draft
- NFL 2014 Regular Season Opponents Determined
- Deion Sanders to Shun Brady and Manning for Pro Bowl
- All on the Line in Final Weekend of Regular Season
- NFL 2013 Week 17: What To Look For
- Aaron Rodgers to Play for Packers in Bears Showdown
- Romo Undergoes Back Surgery, Out for Season
- Cowboys Coaches in Danger of Losing Jobs
- 2013 NFL Week 17: Playoff Scenarios
- Eagles Coach Chip Kelly Denies Texas Job Link
- NFL Executive Roots for Snow during Super Bowl XLVIII
- Players Think Rex Ryan Should Stay as Jets Coach
- Cowboys QB Tony Romo Still 'Fighting Through Injury'
- NFL 2013 Week 16: AFC Players of the Week
- NFL 2013 Week 16: NFC Players of the Week
- NFL 2013 Week 16: The Week That Was
- NFL Teams Prepare For Final Stretch
Article: Copyright © 2013, AHN - All Rights Reserved
"Jets Retain Rex Ryan as Head Coach "