Raiders Settle with ex-QB JaMarcus Russell for $3M
NFL 2013 Football News
The Oakland Raiders have paid former quarterback JaMarcus Russell almost $3 million to settle a dispute over his rookie deal.
The Raiders selected Russell No. 1 overall in the 2007 draft and signed him to a six-year, $68 million contract.
The team shelled out $36.4 million to Russell before he was released after three disappointing years. The Raiders still owed Russell $3M when he was let go.
The Raiders filed a grievance against Russell seeking to recoup $9.55 million in salary advances. The quarterback countered with a grievance of his own, saying he was still owed $9 million.
Russell, who hasn't played since 2009, won just seven of 25 starts during his career at Oakland. He completed 52.1 percent of his passes for 18 touchdowns, 23 interceptions and a passer rating of 65.2.
In a bid to resurrect his NFL career, Russell recently had a tryout with the Chicago Bears last month where he showed significant improvement in his conditioning level.
However, he was inconsistent throwing the football during the workout and remains unsigned.
Coach Mike Shanahan, who attended Kettani's recent Navy promotion ceremony, said the fullback's chances of making the team's 53-man roster are "good."
NFL News Videos:
- The Curse of Redskins
- Missouri Turns Down $700M Upgrade of Rams Home Field
- Redskins Eric Kettani Gets Hate Mail for Navy Deal
- Raiders Settle with ex-QB JaMarcus Russell for $3M
- Texans' Cushing: J.J. Watt could be best defensive player ever
- Ex-Patriot Aaron Hernandez petition for bail denied
- Ex-coach Bill Parcells Regrets Leaving Patriots
- Jets Veterans Want Mark Sanchez to Start at Quarterback
- Ex-Giants, Jets punter Dave Jennings dead at 61
- 49ers Extend Justin Smith through 2015
- Radio Hosts Fired for Mocking Saints defensive back Steve Gleason
- Vladimir Putin denies Taking 2005 Super Bowl Ring without Permission
- Chad Johnson Released from Jail
- Jets Sign Tight End Kellen Winslow Jr to One-Year Deal
- Chargers Rusher Ryan Mathews Receives Hate Messages on Twitter
- Broncos Release Veteran Rusher Willis McGahee
- Patriots Give Tim Tebow's NFL Career a Boost
- Chad Johnson gets 30 days in jail for slapping lawyer's butt
- Hall of Famer Jim Brown Claims NFL Lags Behind NASCAR in Safety
- Quarterback JaMarcus Russell shows solid form in Bears tryout
Copyright © 2013 AHN - All Rights Reserved