RG3 Carries Redskins Past Giants, NFC East Race Tightens
Rookie quarterback Robert Griffin III hit wide receiver Pierre Garcon with the go-ahead eight-yard touchdown heave, lifting the Washington Redskins to a 17-16 victory over NFC East rival New York Giants in Monday Night Football at FedEx Field.
Griffin completed 13 of 21 passes for 163 yards and a touchdown to lead the Redskins (6-6) to their third straight win and hand the Giants their fifth loss in 12 outings.
The No. 2 overall pick added 72 ground yards on five carries to break Carolina Panthers playmaker Cam Newton's record for most rushing yards by a rookie quarterback in a single season with 707.
The victory has tightened the playoff scenario in the NFC East. The Giants are leading the division but the Redskins and the Dallas Cowboys are a half-game behind with identical 6-6 records.
Running back Alfred Morris ran for 124 yards on 22 carries to become the first Redskins rookie to rush for more than 1,000 yards in a season since Clinton Portis did it in 2008. He also broke Reggie Brooks' record for rushing yards in a season by a Redskins rookie.
Washington is now the first team in NFL history with a rookie quarterback to pass for 2,000 or more yards and a rookie running back to run for 1,000 or more yards.
Garcon finished with 108 yards on six carries and a touchdown and Joshua Morgan ran a fumble for a 13-yard touchdown for the Redskins.
Eli Manning completed 20 of 33 passes for 280 yards and a touchdown pass to wide receiver Martellus Bennett, who finished with 82 yards on five catches.
Victor Cruz led the receiving corps with 104 yards on five receptions, running back Ahmad Bradshaw ran for 103 yards on 24 carries and Lawrence Tynes kicked field goals from 35, 39 and 40 yards for the Giants.
The Giants took a 3-0 lead behind Tynes' 39-yard field goal but the Redskins took the upperhand, 7-3, when Morgan caught Griffin's airborne fumble and then ran 13 yards for a touchdown.
In the second quarter, the Giants took a 10-7 lead on Manning's touchdown pass to Bennett before Kai Forbath tied the count with a 33-yard field goal.
Tynes then gave the Giants a 13-10 lead at the break with a 40-yard field goal and a 16-10 advantage with a 35-yarder in the third period. He also had a critical miss, however, that along with several penalties cost the G-Men a chance to win.
Victor Cruz looks back on loss to Redskins
- 49ers Suspend Brandon Jacobs for Remainder of Season
- Tom Brady Throws Four Scoring Strikes as Patriots Rout Texans
- Ravens Can Coordinator Cam Cameron, Promote Jim Caldwell
- Cowboys Owner, Tackle Ratliff Have Heated Confrontation
- Linebacker's Death Puts Spotlight on NFL Drug, Alcohol Problem
- Packers Tame Lions, Close in on NFC North Title
- Rookies Propel Browns to Rout of Chiefs
- Cam Newton Carries Panthers to Upset Win Over Falcons
- Cowboys Brent Charged with Manslaughter in Teammate Jerry Brown's death
- Browns Special Teamers Reject Plan to Eliminate Kickoff
- Cardinals Deck Dockett with $200,000 Fine
- Ailing Giants: Nicks and Phillips doubtful against Saints
- Chiefs Running Back Hillis Shrugs Off Comment by Ex-Browns Teammate
- Manning and Moreno Lead Broncos to Eighth Straight Victory
- Vikings Greenway Backtracks After Calling for 'Super-Duper Drunk' Fans
- Quarterback for Now: Sanchez to Start for Jets vs Jaguars
- Injured Linebacker Suggs Game-Time Decision for Ravens
- With Four Games Remaining, NFL Enters Final Quarter
- Final Quarter Starts with AFC Playoffs in Sight
- 2012 NFL Playoff Scenarios for Week 14
- Bears Linebacker Urlacher Out Three Games with Hamstring Strain
- Eagles Tab Foles as Starting QB for Rest of Season
- Bob Costas Draws Criticism for Halftime Gun Control Commentary
- Police Say Belcher Legally Owned Gun Used in Murder-Suicide
- RG3 Carries Redskins Past Giants, NFC East Race Tightens
- Rookies Dazzle in Browns Win Over Raiders
- Tony Romo's Three TD Strikes Help Cowboys Down Eagles
- Andrew Luck's Last-Second Scoring Strike Lifts Colts Past Lions
- Ravens Linebacker Ray Lewis to Return December 16 vs Broncos
- Bryant's Crucial Field Goals Lift Falcons Over Saints
- Former LSU Star Tyrann Mathieu Enters 2013 NFL Draft
- RGIII Tops NFL Jersey Sales List After Strong Sales Week
- Playoff Races Intensify as NFL Enters Final Month
- NFL 2012 Week 13 Preview: Seahawks vs Bears
- Atlanta Falcons Host the New Orleans Saints
- Eagles QB Michael Vick to Wear Special Skull Cap
- AFC Playoff Picture Taking Shape
- NFC Playoff Races in Full Swing
- Sacked: Eagles Release Defensive End Jason Babin
- Jets Superfan 'Fireman Ed' Retires from Role
- Cam Newton Stars as Panthers Ground Eagles
- Eli Manning Throws Three Scoring Strikes as Giants Crush Packers
- Trent Richardson Carries Browns Over Steelers
- Tom Brady Leads Patriots to Easy Win over Jets
- Jets Quarterback Tim Tebow Playing with Fractured Ribs
- RG3 throws Four Scoring Strikes, Redskins Topple Cowboys
- Graham OT Field Goal Helps Texans Escape Lions
- Giants Safety Kenny Phillips Wins Appeal on Fine
- NFL to Revise In-Season Part of Challenge Rule
- Balance on Offense Leads to Success for Texans
- Peyton Manning Finding Comfort in Denver
- Ex-Bears Great Mike Ditka Calls Minor Stroke 'No Big Deal'
- NFL Retirement Board Claims Sport Caused Brain Injuries of 3 Players
- Glazer's Edge: Give Tebow a shot
- Boomer Esiason 'Not a Fan' of Tim Tebow
- Blame NFL for QB concussions
- Roger Goodell Says Football will Evolve
- The End of Football as We Know It?
Copyright © 2012 iHaveNet.com