NFL Kneeling Protests: The Public Perception
By Niall McCarthy (Statista)
Here's how the public feels about the NFL kneeling protests according to a recent Ipsos poll.
Recently, NFL football fields in the United States have turned into cauldrons of political debate.
It all started when President Trump launched a sensational attack on players for protesting police brutality by kneeling during the national anthem.
"Wouldn't you love to see one of these NFL owners, when somebody disrespects our flag, to say, 'Get that son of a bitch off the field right now. Out! He's fired. He's fired!'" Trump said during a rally in Alabama on September 22nd.
Current and former players have criticized the president for his remarks but how do the general public feel about it the situation?
According to Ipsos, a 57 percent majority of Americans think that the NFL should not fire athletes who kneel in protest during the national anthem. Over half of all Americans also think President Trump should refrain on commenting about how the NFL and its players conduct themselves during the national anthem.
Sport & Protest
Some NFL players knelt during the national anthem to protest racism in the United States. President Donald Trump's tweets, in which he called for those players to be sacked and fans to protest the NFL, turned the phenomenon from isolated incidents to whole teams joining in the kneeling protest.
USA Today conducted a poll among voters to find out what Americans think about this matter.
The following statement from NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell is in response to President Donald Trump's comments:
"The NFL and our players are at our best when we help create a sense of unity in our country and our culture. There is no better example than the amazing response from our clubs and players to the terrible natural disasters we've experienced over the last month. Divisive comments like these demonstrate an unfortunate lack of respect for the NFL, our great game and all of our players, and a failure to understand the overwhelming force for good our clubs and players represent in our communities.
- NFL 2017 Week 7 Preview
- NFL 2017 Week 6 Preview
- NFL Kneeling Protests: The Public Perception
- NFL 2017 Week 5 Preview
- Headline Games
- NFL Ratchets Up The Excitement
- Best NFL Teams the Past 10 Years
- Division Titles Always Up For Grabs
- Scoring Reached Record Highs
- Minnesota Hosts Super Bowl LII
- Total Miles Traveled
- Team Strength of Schedule Rankings
- Overtime Excitement
- New NFL Rules For 2017
- Turnovers Are Key To Victory
- Quarterback Success
- Running the Ball
- Tight Ends on the Rise
- Converting & Moving the Chains on Offense
- Super Bowl Trophy By The Numbers
- Player Milestones & Records
- Tom Brady is Tom Terrific
- Matt MVP Ryan
- Drew Brees Set To Impress Yet Again
- Mister Aaron Rodgers to Us
- Derek Carr Full Speed Ahead
- Famous Jameis Winston
- Dak & Zeke: Cowboys Rookies Make Their Mark
- Young Quarterbacks On The Rise
- David Johnson Does It All
- Larry The Legend Fitzgerald
- Antonio Brown On The Move
- Catch It Like Beckham
- Khalil Mack: Return of the Mack
- Quarterbacks in the Clutch
- Rookie Phenoms Excelled
- Dual Threat Running Backs
- On Target Receivers
- Best Yards After The Catch Players
- Receivers Who Move the Chains
- NFL 2017: Big Play Excitement
- NFL 2017: Top Punt and Kick Returners
- NFL 2017: Same Faces, New Places
- NFL 2017: Best Undrafted Players
- NFL 2017: Small School Success Stories
- NFL 2017: Quarterbacks of the Future
- Best NFL Head Coaches Ever
Receive our NFL News & Analysis by email by subscribing here
NFL Football: "NFL Kneeling Protests: The Public Perception"