Eagles QB Nick Foles Super Bowl LII MVP
Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Nick Foles was voted the winner of the Pete Rozelle Trophy, awarded to the Super Bowl LII Most Valuable Player as the Eagles defeated the Patriots 41-33.
[ Also: Late Turnover Decides Super Bowl LII ]
Foles completed 28 of 43 pass attempts for 373 yards with three touchdowns and one interception for a 106.1 passer rating. He is the third quarterback to start and win the Super Bowl after starting three or fewer games in the regular season, joining Doug Williams (Washington, Super Bowl XXII) and Jeff Hostetler (New York Giants, Super Bowl XXV).
Foles, who also had a one-yard touchdown reception from tight end Trey Burton, is the first player in NFL history with a touchdown pass and a touchdown catch in a Super Bowl. He is the only quarterback in NFL history to have a 100+ passer rating in each of his first four career postseason starts (minimum 20 attempts per game).
Foles threw the game-winning 11-yard touchdown pass to tight end ZACH ERTZ with 2:21 remaining in the fourth quarter.
The MVP award is chosen by a panel of 16 comprised of members of the Pro Football Writers Association of America, selected members of the electronic broadcast media and by fans interactively through the National Football League’s official website, NFL.com.
Super Bowl 52: MVP Nick Foles Discusses Trick Play
Nick Foles on winning the Super Bowl:
"I am speechless. All glory to God first and foremost. I wouldn’t be here without Him. To be a part of this organization, to be in this moment is something you dream about as a kid. To be right here with the confetti flying with the greatest group of men, I am about to be with my family at some point."
Nick Foles on his teammates who showed up during the Super Bowl:
"Yeah, that was a hard-fought game. New England is a tremendous team, one of the greatest quarterbacks (Tom Brady) and coaches (Bill Belichick) of all time, and just for us, the team all year just fought till the end, just kept leaning on each other. And that’s just what this season has been about. That locker room is a special locker room, and you can see it throughout the course of this game. No matter what happened, we just kept sticking together, kept leaning on each other. We have an amazing coaching staff, and amazing personnel staff. Just to be in this moment, unbelievable."
Nick Foles on his touchdown catch:
"That’s something we’ve been working on, and Doug (Pederson) and I were talking. I was like, ‘Let’s just run it.’ It was a good time, and the end was a little wider than I thought, so I was like, ‘I really need to sell like I’m not doing anything.’ And it worked. Trey (Burton) made an amazing throw, right on the money. I just looked it in, and yeah, we’ve repped it for a while, so I was excited to get it run in the Super Bowl."
Nick Foles on recently considering retirement to winning the Super Bowl and what changed in his life along the way:
"We talked a lot this last week about a couple years ago, there was a time where I was thinking about hanging up the cleats, and I think as people, we deal with struggles. And that was a moment in my life where I thought about it, and I prayed about it. I’m grateful that I made the decision to come back and play. I wouldn’t be out here without God, without Jesus in my life. I can tell you that first and foremost. I don’t have the strength to come out here and play this game like that. That’s an everyday walk. We have struggles as people, and that’s just been my rock and my family."
Nick Foles on if he saw Patriots QB Tom Brady postgame and if they spoke:
"I didn’t get to see Tom (Brady). I was looking for Tom. It got pretty crazy really fast. He’s one of the greatest of all time. Guy does it right. He has been unbelievable. He was unbelievable tonight. I can’t say enough about him."
Nick Foles on playing relaxed throughout the game:
"I felt good. You never really know what it’s going to be like when you’re going into a Super Bowl. I’ve never been here before, so there are normal nerves. You’ve got butterflies. It’s a big game. It doesn’t get any bigger than this, but I felt good. I felt calm. I think the big thing that helped me was knowing that I didn’t have to be Superman. I have amazing teammates, amazing coaches around me, and all I have to do is go play as hard as I could and play for one another, play for those guys and not look at the scoreboard, not look at the time. Just go out there and play. Don’t worry about it, and came away with a victory."
Nick Foles on his mindset and playing aggressively:
"I didn’t switch my mindset. I wasn’t worrying about the scoreboard. I wasn’t worried about the time. I was just playing ball. I think sometimes you start worrying about that so much, and it starts creeping into your brain. I was just playing. Whatever play Doug called, I was just going to go out there and rip it, and that was sort of our mindset going into this. We had to play a strong 60 minutes, and it took 60 minutes to win this game."
Nick Foles on if he was excited or nervous for the chance to catch a pass:
"No, I’m excited. A quarterback going out on a route? I was pumped to go over there and talk to Doug [Pederson], and we agreed on it. Like I said, we worked on it for a long time, and we executed it perfectly. That’s probably the best it has looked. So, we hit it at the right time."
Nick Foles on how long they have worked on the trick play:
"We’ve probably been working on it for a month."
Nick Foles on standing on the Super Bowl podium with his family:
"Being on the podium with my wife, Tori, my daughter, Lilly, that’s what life’s about right there. We’re Super Bowl champs, but time does stop when you look in your daughter’s eyes and you get to celebrate this moment. I got to look in my wife’s eyes. I get to celebrate this with her. They’ve been there. My wife’s been there through everything. My family has been there through everything. To be in this moment, to celebrate this moment, that’s what it’s about, and I’m just grateful."
Nick Foles on what it means to be part of the Philadelphia Eagles first championship and what he would say to the fans:
"To be a part of the Philadelphia Eagles first championship, we’ve all waited a long time to be in this position, to be world champions. The people who bleed green, the people of Philadelphia, the people all across the nation that support the Eagles, they’ve waited a long time. Mr. (Jeffrey) Lurie has waited a long time. Being a part of this, being drafted to Philadelphia, being fortunate enough to come back and be a part of this team, to be a piece of this puzzle, it has been a long time coming, and I know there’s going to be a lot of celebrating tonight."
Nick Foles on when he began to believe that this outcome was a possibility:
"I was really staying in the moment. This is always the outcome, the goal, but I feel like if you put it on a pedestal, you start forgetting to do the little things – the preparation, the practice. You start forcing balls because you’re trying to play at a level that … so, when this became reality was when we won the NFC championship game because (we were) staying in the moment, and I wanted worried about the next day. I was worrying about that moment, and that’s what I did today, we did today, just staying in this moment, doing everything you can in the moment to be successful, and the outcome was we were world champs."
[ Also: Late Turnover Decides Super Bowl LII ]
- Super Bowl History
- Super Bowl History by the Numbers
- Super Bowl TV by the Numbers
- Super Bowl MVP History
- What Americans Associate Most With Super Bowl Ads
- Why Americans Love the Super Bowl
- Super Bowl Performers and Performances
- Legal Super Bowl Betting
- Top 10 Super Bowl Ads Since 2008
- Super Bowl Advertising Facts & Figures
- Super Bowl Trophy By The Numbers
Receive our NFL News & Analysis by email by subscribing here
NFL Football: "Eagles QB Nick Foles Super Bowl LII MVP"
- Super Bowl I: Packers 35 Chiefs 10
- Super Bowl II: Packers 33 Raiders 14
- Super Bowl III: Jets 16 Colts 7
- Super Bowl IV: Chiefs 23 Vikings 7
- Super Bowl V: Colts 16 Cowboys 13
- Super Bowl VI: Cowboys 24 Dolphins 3
- Super Bowl VII: Dolphins 14 Redskins 7
- Super Bowl VIII: Dolphins 24 Vikings 7
- Super Bowl IX: Steelers 16 Vikings 6
- Super Bowl X: Steelers 21 Cowboys 17
- Super Bowl XI: Raiders 32 Vikings 14
- Super Bowl XII: Cowboys 27 Broncos 10
- Super Bowl XIII: Steelers 35 Cowboys 31
- Super Bowl XIV: Steelers 31 Rams 19
- Super Bowl XV: Raiders 27 Eagles 10
- Super Bowl XVI: 49ers 26 Bengals 21
- Super Bowl XVII: Redskins 27 Dolphins 17
- Super Bowl XVIII: Raiders 38 Redskins 9
- Super Bowl XIX: 49ers 38 Dolphins 16
- Super Bowl XX: Bears 46 Patriots 10
- Super Bowl XXI: Giants 40 Broncos 20
- Super Bowl XXII: Redskins 42 Broncos 10
- Super Bowl XXIII: 49ers 20 Bengals 16
- Super Bowl XXIV: 49ers 55 Broncos 10
- Super Bowl XXV: Giants 20 Bills 19
- Super Bowl XXVI: Redskins 37 Bills 24
- Super Bowl XXVII: Cowboys 52 Bills 17
- Super Bowl XXVIII: Cowboys 30 Bills 13
- Super Bowl XXIX: 49ers 49 Chargers 26
- Super Bowl XXX: Cowboys 27 Steelers 17
- Super Bowl XXXI: Packers 35 Patriots 21
- Super Bowl XXXII: Broncos 31 Packers 24
- Super Bowl XXXIII: Broncos 34 Falcons 19
- Super Bowl XXXIV: Rams 23 Titans 16
- Super Bowl XXXV: Ravens 34 Giants 7
- Super Bowl XXXVI: Patriots 20 Rams 17
- Super Bowl XXXVII: Buccaneers 48 Raiders 21
- Super Bowl XXXVIII: Patriots 32 Panthers 29
- Super Bowl XXXIX: Patriots 24 Eagles 21
- Super Bowl XL: Steelers 21 Seahawks 10
- Super Bowl XLI: Colts 29 Bears 17
- Super Bowl XLII: Giants 17 Patriots 14
- Super Bowl XLIII: Steelers 27 Cardinals 23
- Super Bowl XLIV: Saints 31 Colts 17
- Super Bowl XLV: Packers 31 Steelers 25
- Super Bowl XLVI: Giants 21 Patriots 17
- Super Bowl XLVII: Ravens 34 49ers 31
- Super Bowl XLVIII: Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
- Super Bowl XLIX: Patriots 28 Seahawks 24
- Super Bowl 50: Broncos 24 Panthers 10
- Super Bowl 51: Patriots 34 Falcons 28