How Many Vacation Homes Can You Own?
More Is Better, Some Homebuyers Say
With housing values continuing to fall and mortgage interest rates at record lows, this has to be the best time in decades to buy a property -- if you have the cash and credit to get to the closing table.
In the latest set of numbers, the
Plenty of those homes are located in traditional second-home territory: waterfront properties in
But the truth is that there are plenty of outstanding second-home locations near every major metropolitan area where homebuyers can get a lot of house for their money.
According to the latest HomeAway Vacation Rental Marketplace Report, some 15 percent of vacation homeowners say they bought a vacation home because of the decline in real estate prices. Another 12 percent of vacation homeowners said they are interested in buying another vacation property due to the lower prices.
The study also found that nearly a quarter of owners (22 percent) say the increase in foreclosed homes has prompted them to bargain hunt for vacation real estate. And 5 percent of vacation homeowners have purchased a foreclosed home within the past two years.
HomeAway's report also found that 48 percent of owners who financed their vacation home are able to cover more than 75 percent of their mortgage by renting it to travelers, up from 38 percent just one year ago. (You can thank housing affordability, which is at nearly a record high at the moment.)
Where should you look for a vacation property?
The following locations showed the largest increase in vacation homes being listed for rent in the Q1 2011:
How do these locations compare to the fastest-growing travel destinations?
The report concluded that the following locations are seeing the biggest increases as travel destinations:
You might not think of some of those places as vacation destinations, but the vast majority of second-home owners like to purchase properties that are within 150 miles from their primary residence, vacation real estate experts say. That distance translates to a three-hour commute one-way, which is about the maximum amount of time a homeowner wants to spend driving to a vacation home.
The good news is that there are plenty of great vacation properties to buy at extremely low prices and at record low interest rates. Timing is everything, and Realtors are asking, "How about a third or fourth vacation home?"
- How Many Vacation Homes Can You Own?
- The Challenges of Investing in Foreclosures
- How More Homeowners Are Making Their Existing Homes Work
- Is the Mortgage Market on the Mend?
- Why Declining Homeownership Rates Might Not Be a Bad Thing
- The Market for Jumbo Mortgages Is Changing
- Overcoming the Mortgage Obstacles
- Homeowner Savings Tips: What You Might Not Know
- What Home Inspectors Don't Notice
- Buying Beats Renting in 80 percent of U.S. Cities
- What Moves Mortgage Rates?
- Why We're Shunning the McMansion
- The Ultimate Spring Home Buyers Guide
- HUD Drops Harsh Rule on Reverse Mortgages
- Borrowers Have to Jump Through Maddening Hoops Just to Close
- Before Taking a Reverse Mortgage You Need to Know the Costs
- Why the World Caught a Cold When the U.S. Housing Market Sneezed
- HED Reverse Mortgages
- Rising Number of Reverse Mortgage Borrowers Facing Foreclosure
- Now May Be the Time to Buy a Home
- 10 Winter Wonderlands for Retirement
- What Mortgage Lenders Look For When They Scrutinize Your Finances
- Five Things You Should Know About Foreclosure in 2011
- Property Taxes Might Be Higher Than You Thought Before Purchase
- New Year's Resolutions for Home Sellers
- What Lenders Mean by 'Loss Mitigation'
- New Year's Resolutions for Home Buyers
- Decoding the FICO 8 and FICO 8 Mortgage Score
- Why It's Time to Reconsider House-Hunting
- Jobs and Real Estate Tethered for Better or Worse
- Not Wise to Order Your Own Appraisal Before Refinance
- Foreclosure Process In Deep Crisis; Is Government Finally Noticing?
- How Much Should You Pay to Refinance?
- Interest Rates Drop Again But Will Housing Market Perk Up?
- On Sale: Retirement Havens
- Appraisal Problems Kill Opportunity For Lower Mortgage Rate
- Our Big Fat Foreclosure Mess
- What to Expect When You're Closing on Your Mortgage Loan
- Shopping for a Home When There's Too Much to Buy
- Finding Second Home Bargains
- America's 10 Slowest Appreciating Housing Markets
- The Costs of Retiring with a Mortgage
Real Estate - How Many Vacation Homes Can You Own?
(c) 2011 ILYCE R. GLINK. DISTRIBUTED BY TRIBUNE MEDIA SERVICES, INC.