Win Women Over with Your Smartphone
Kimberly Dawn Neumann
I've noticed that women like to check out my smartphone apps, almost like they're trying to figure out if I'm cool, smart or worldly enough. How can I win at this game?
To begin with, make sure you've erased any sexts you've got on there before handing your phone over. You never know what she might "accidentally" touch.
Assuming she's not on a covert mission, why would a woman care about your "app-titude"? Consider it another screening tool in the getting-to-know-you quest. The apps you download can say a lot about who you are and what you have in common.
For example, a man who has Google Maps and isn't afraid to use it? Well, we all know the old stereotype about men and asking for directions. If a gal sees you're comfortable with an app map, she may think you're progressive (even if it's just your love of gadgets kicking in). Go ahead and pretend you're the kind of guy who's not afraid to ask for help -- it'll score you points.
A wine app like "Nat Decants Wine Reviews, Pairings, Recipes," which suggests wine and food pairings and gives you instant access to thousands of wine reviews, will make you look like you've got an interest in the finer things in life. Plus, you can always whip it out when ordering at dinner for an easy conversation starter.
A music app like Pandora with an interesting, eclectic range (throw some classical in there for bonus points) will also present you as a cultured sort -- and, again, is a great conversation starter. If you've downloaded similar stuff, point in common! If not, it's an excellent opportunity to explore one another's interests.
Intelligent reading material never hurts. If the latest post on TMZ is your idea of breaking news, so be it, but balance it out with something a little deeper, like The Guardian or The New York Times. Just like that hard copy of The Atlantic Monthly strategically placed on your coffee table, you don't have to actually read it. Just displaying it tells the casual visitor you're a smart cookie.
Of course, financial apps are always a solid bet. A woman is going to want to know you're fiscally responsible, and seeing some kind of interest in the stock market or at least your own portfolio will tell her you're thinking about your future. For a woman, nothing quite says "long-term potential" like monetary acumen.
This one's less obvious, but a horoscope app can also be a winner -- as long as you spin it right. Ask her sign, and no matter what it says, pretend it reads something like, "Today you will go out with a man who brings joy to your life." Sure it's sappy, but she'll probably laugh. Then you can read her real horoscope and see what resonates. (See? This little game can work in your favor too.)
Finally, don't be afraid to play "I showed you mine, now show me yours." Because all is fair in love and apps.
Available at Amazon.com:
- Win Women Over with Your Smartphone
- Dating a Jock
- 6 Steps to Great Communication
- The Real Scoop on Sisters
- How Jealous Friends Sabotage Your Health
- Friend Friction
- Play Your Summer Romance Into Overtime
- Should You Let a Friendship Go?
- 5 Tips to Getting Along With Your Roommate
- Why Office Dating May Be More Dangerous in This Economy
- Perfect Summer Dates
- Bust a Rut, Lose Your Gut
- Can You Keep a Secret?
- Shut Down the Boy Drama!
- How Do You Rank as a Roommate?
- What to Say to Women
- Pair up for a Group Date
- Good Friends, Good Health
- The Summer Fun Starts Here
- 5 Rules of Facebook Etiquette
- Make the New Girl Your New Friend
- Stand up for Yourself Without Creating Conflict
- 5 Ways to Tell She Digs You
- Girlfriends Rule
- Triple Threat of Toxic Friends
- Sharing a Room With a Sibling
- Beginner's Guide to Dating Boys
- Get Along With Your Parents
- Make Nice With Mom
- Facial Hair to Attract the Girl of Your Dreams
- Mastering Group Dating
- Turns Out Listening's His Strong Suit
- Is Facebook Killing Your Mojo?
- Go Retrosexual: Finding Lost Loves Over the Web
- All's Fair in Love and Woo
- Show Mom You Love Her!
- Breakup Recovery: Prevail in the First 72 Hours
- The Girl Decoder
- 10 Ultimate Girlfriend Mysteries -- Solved!
- Say 'I Love You' in a New Way
- Million-dollar Dating at Bargain Prices
- Is it Bromance? How to Pick the Best Wingmen
- 5 Gadgets to Boot up Your Love Life
- Find New Friends Fast
- How to Comfort a Friend in Need
- Academic Affair: Beware!
- Can Long-distance Love Thrive?
- Show Mom You Love Her
Copyright © 2010 Studio One Networks. All rights reserved.