by Caroline Kinneberg
Personal connections make life meaningful. But when a problem arises, it can wipe the smile from your face. Here's how to build better relationships
Boost your bond with your husband
Back away from the BlackBerry.
If you're texting or emailing while talking to your husband, you're essentially saying that message is more important than him, says Dr. Dale Atkins, a New York City-based psychologist. Drop the gadget and focus on your partner. And make sure he does the same.
Boost your bond with your boss
Tweak your thinking.
You can't change your boss, but you can alter your reactions, says Atkins. If you get nervous talking to him or her, do a quick relaxation exercise before approaching. Breathe deeply, and practice a positive mind-state mantra. Say to yourself: "I'm anxious, but I'll get through this," instead of, "This is terrible; I know I'm going to trip over my words!"
Boost your bond with your sister
Create a new connection.
Adult siblings clash because of childhood roles, explains Atkins. Talk about life now -- discuss your respective hobbies, jobs and kids. If your sister launched a scrapbooking business, for instance, don't make fun of her just because she's Little Sis. Instead, ask her to share her vision with you.
Boost your bond with your kids
Explain your reasoning.
Avoid being critical or judgmental when asking children to do something, advises Atkins. Instead, tell them why a task is important to you. If your preteen won't clean her room, explain that cleaning her room helps her learn responsibility and pride.
- Be a Better Person -- Starting Today
- How to Break Up Online
- Date Night: No Reservations Required
- Plan a Fabulous Girls Night Out
- Make Date Night Exciting Again
- 6 Tips to Handle Criticism
- How to Break Up With a Friend
- How to Win People Over
- 5 Ways to Show a Friend You Care
- Good Friends: The Key to Good Health
- Build Better Relationships
- How to Survive the Holidays at Her House
- The 8 Secrets of Constructive Arguments
- The One Thing That Can Make Your Partner Jealous
- Getting the Girl -- Without Losing Your Friends
- How to Get the Girl
- How to Deal With Jealousy
- 10 Things to You Should Never, Ever Say to a Woman
- Families Are Changing, But Still Key to Happiness
- How to Live Alone Without Being Lonely
- How to Be Happy -- Despite Parenthood
- Religion Makes People Happier -- But Why?
- Why Good Friends Make You Happy
- Why Marriage Makes People Happy
- How to Protect Yourself from Bad Break-Ups
- How to Find Happiness on Social Networks
- Make Time for Romance!
Article: Copyright © 2017, Studio One Networks. All rights reserved.
Relationships - "How to Build Better Relationships"