Epic Failures for Soccer Superpowers
By Martin Armstrong (Statista)
Soccer superpowers that will miss out on the 2018 FIFA World Cup Finals. This chart shows the number of times selected men's national soccer teams failed to qualify for the FIFA World Cup.
As the final whistle blew on the 0-0 draw, the tears started to flow. Italy had failed to qualify for the FIFA World Cup for the first time since 1958.
After their poor showing in the group stages in 2014, only finishing above a dismal England, the Azzurri now have to come to terms with the end of an era. Talisman goalkeeper and 2006 World Cup winner Gianluigi Buffon announced after the game that he is retiring from international football along with fellow members of the old guard, Daniele De Rossi and Andrea Barzagli.
It won't help ease the pain felt in Italy, but as our infographic shows, they're far from alone in failing to get to the FIFA World Cup Finals. Of the teams that can be safely considered as 'superpowers', the Netherlands top the heartbreak table, having missed out on a trip to the World Cup a total of 8 times -- including the 2018 tournament finals in Russia. Argentina came close to missing out this time round but managed to avoid adding to their 1970 disappointment.
Of the eight teams featured here, only Brazil and the current FIFA World Champions Germany don't know the bitter taste of a qualification knock out, having made it through to the finals at every attempt so far.
Soccer Superpowers That Missed the World Cup
- Most Valuable World Cup Soccer Teams
- Instagram's Biggest Sports Stars
- Epic Failures for Soccer Superpowers
- Premier League Fans Stream Illegally
- 30 Years of Escalating Soccer Transfer Fees
- Iceland Smallest Nation To Ever Reach FIFA World Cup
- Where Refs Brandish Red the Most
- Goals Come at a Hefty Price Tag
- Betting Companies Dominate Sponsorships
- Top 10 Most Expensive Bayern Munich Signings
- Top 10 Best Selling Premier League Player Jerseys
- Messi Is at His Best
- African Migrants Integrate Through Soccer
- Bedoya Would Love to Play in the Bundesliga One Day
- Years After Leo Messi's First Appearance for FC Barcelona
- Biography of Lionel Messi
- Messi Still Better Than Ronaldo
- Top 10 World Cup Goalscorers of All Time
- 2014 World Cup Team of the Tournament
- Five Crazy World Cup Social Media Records
- Will Major League Soccer Ever Become Popular in the U.S.?
Article: Copyright © 2018, iHaveNet.com
Soccer: "Epic Failures for Soccer Superpowers"