Premier League Shirt Sponsors Dominated By Betting Companies
If you've watched a Premier League game on TV in the UK over the last few years you will have undoubtedly been met with such phrases as 'bet in play now', 'latest live odds' or '£50 free bet' during the half-time break.
Gambling has of course always gone hand in hand with sport but the rise and development of modern betting culture in football has been particularly interesting to observe.
Even when the game is running, viewers are exposed to the advertising efforts of gambling firms looking to gain an edge in this fiercely competitive market. In recent years, one avenue exploited more and more has been shirt sponsorship. Behind only perhaps the renaming of a stadium, the centre of a teams jersey is prime advertising real estate. As the infographic below shows, in the current 2016/17 season, exactly half of the teams in the Premier League have a main shirt sponsor from the gambling industry -- back in 2013/14, this stood at 15 percent, and in the previous year 25.
The chart above shows the share of Premier League teams with a shirt sponsor from the gambling industry.
- Most Valuable World Cup Soccer Teams
- Instagram's Biggest Sports Stars
- Epic Failures for Soccer Superpowers
- Premier League Fans Stream Illegally
- 30 Years of Escalating Soccer Transfer Fees
- Iceland Smallest Nation To Ever Reach FIFA World Cup
- Where Refs Brandish Red the Most
- Goals Come at a Hefty Price Tag
- Betting Companies Dominate Sponsorships
- Top 10 Most Expensive Bayern Munich Signings
- Top 10 Best Selling Premier League Player Jerseys
- Charlie Austin Player Profile
- Maradona Kicks Fan After 'Match for Peace' in Colombia
- Luis Suarez Happy at Barcelona, He Says
- Enrique: Messi Is at His Best
- FIFA President Sepp Blatter Tells Detractors of the 2018 World Cup in Russia to 'Stay at Home'
- African Migrants Integrate Through Soccer
- Bedoya Would Love to Play in the Bundesliga One Day
- Dom Dwyer Emerging as American MLS Star
- Eight Years After Leo Messi's First Appearance for FC Barcelona
- Biography of Lionel Messi
- Could Cristiano Ronaldo Be Headed to MLS?
- MLS Introduces Minnesota United FC as Newest Expansion Team
- Top 10 Richest Football Clubs in 2015
- Top 10 Most Expensive Arsenal Signings
- Top 10 Most Expensive Liverpool Signings
- Parma Coach Questions Legitimacy of Serie A
- Mario Balotelli Goes White After Italy's Selection
- Messi Still Better Than Ronaldo
- Thierry Henry Retires from Football
- Top 10 World Cup Goalscorers of All Time
- 2014 World Cup Team of the Tournament
- Five Crazy World Cup Social Media Records
- The World Cup's Legacy in Brazil and What It Means for the 2016 Olympics
- Will Major League Soccer Ever Become Popular in the U.S.?
- Gotze Goal Earns Germany World Cup
- Germany Wins World Cup for 1st Time in 24 Years
- Germans Celebrate, Argentines Mourn
- Messi: We Had Our Chances
- 2014 World Cup Photos - Argentina vs Germany
Article: Copyright © 2018, iHaveNet.com
Soccer: "Premier League Shirt Sponsors Dominated By Betting Companies"