St. Louis, MO
Chris Carpenter settled down for a solid start, then his bullpen mates excelled as the St. Louis Cardinals topped the Texas Rangers 6-2 Friday night in game seven of the World Series.
It marked the Cards 11th title, second only in MLB to the Yankees 27, while the Rangers are still without a championship.
Carpenter was terrific, allowing just two runs over six innings to continue his stellar postseason work.
Matt Harrison was not as successful on the bump for the Rangers, giving up three runs over four frames.
Scott Feldman struggled in relief, allowing a bases-loaded walk, then Rafael Furcal was hit by a pitch to give the Cardinals a 5-2 edge in the fifth.
Texas scored both its runs in the first inning, as Michael Young and Josh Hamilton ripped RBI doubles off Carpenter before he settled down.
Allen Craig did his part for St. Louis, belting a home run and robbing Nelson Cruz of a round-tripper with a perfectly-timed leap at the left field wall in the sixth.
Albert Pujols and Lance Berkman each scored a pair of runs for the Cards, while David Freese and Yadier Molina each knocked in a pair.
St. Louis' relievers were outstanding with Arthur Rhodes, Octavio Dotel and Lance Lynn turning in perfect work in the seventh and eighth innings.
Jason Motte did likewise in the ninth, inducing David Murphy into a fly out for the game's final out.
World Series Game 7: Saint Louis Wins
World Series Game 7: Stinging Deja Vu for Rangers
World Series: Top 5 Moments
- David Ortiz Open to Red Sox Return, But Blue Jays May Swoop In
- Carpenter, Bullpen Excel as Cards Top Rangers in Game 7
- Freese Frame: Homer in 11th Helps Cards Force Decisive World Series Game 7
- Napoli Stars as Rangers Top Cardinals; Rangers Take 3-2 World Series Edge
- Holland Tosses 8 Plus Innings of Two-Hit Ball: Rangers Level World Series 2-2
- Pujols Powers Cards to 2-1 Lead: Belts Record-Tying Three Homers
- Sac Flies Lift Rangers Over Cards in Game Two: World Series Even 1-1
- Carpenter, Bullpen Help Cards Top Rangers in World Series Opener
- Midwest Best or Southern Fried? Rangers - Cards Clash in Fall Classic
- Bud Selig Appears Headed For Retirement in Wisconsin to Pen Memoir
- Rangers CEO Nolan Ryan Predicts Texas Will Win World Series
- Indians Start Offseason Overhaul: Make Two Roster Moves
- Red Sox Pitcher Jon Lester Says Don't Blame Collapse On Beer and Chicken
- McCourts Reportedly Reach Settlement Over Dodgers
- Rangers Huge 3rd Inning Finishes Off Tigers
- Red Sox Owner Sorry to See GM Epstein Go
- Rangers Likely To Pursue CC Sabathia
- Brewers Ride Randy Wolf Gem To Top Cards
- Verlander and Homers Help Tigers Avoid Elimination vs Rangers
- Nelson Cruz Clutch Again in Rangers Game 4 Victory Over Tigers
- Cards Start Fast; Bullpen Excels Over Brewers
- Theo Epstein to Join Cubs
- Nelson Cruz Powers Texas Rangers
- Fister's Arm and Tigers Bats Too Much for Rangers in ALCS Game 3
- Cardinals Roll to NLCS Game 2 Win; Head Home With Series Tied
- Cruz Control: Nelson Homers Twice as Rangers Top Tigers for 2-0 ALCS Lead
- Plenty of Questions; No Answers Yet for Yankees
- Phillies Could Face Overhaul After Disappointing Postseason
- Post Philly Hurt Feelings Ryan Howard Ready to Recover
- Cleveland Sizing Up Grady Sizemore's Situation
- Rangers Rope Series Lead vs Tigers in ALCS opener
- Carpenter Outduels Halladay: Phillies Ousted by Cards
- Brewers Outlast Diamondbacks: Advance to NLCS
- Tigers Headed to Texas Edge Yankees in Game 5
- Hap-Philly Ever After: Charlie Manuel Hopes to Add to Legacy
- Cardinals Defeat Phillies to Force Game 5
- Diamondbacks Power Bats Force Deciding Game 5 vs. Brewers
- Rays Come Up Short in Playoffs But Ready for Long Haul
- Diamondbacks Cut Brewers Lead to 2-1
- Pinch-Hit Homer by Phillies Francisco Pushes Cards to Brink
- Rangers Top Rays in Game 4; Texas Advances to ALCS
- Divisional Series Game Woes Frustrating for Sabathia
- Pence Adds Up: Phillies Hunt for Title with Ex-Astros Outfielder
- Cleveland Indians Bright Spot: Reliever Vinnie Pestano
- Seventh Inning Surge Lifts Rangers Past Rays in Game 3
- Tigers on Trail: Detroit Tops Yankees
- Phillies Ace Can't Beat Cardinals: St. Louis levels NLDS at 1-1
- Lucroy Bunt Helps Brewers Forge 2-0 Series Lead vs. D-Backs
- Scherzer Stellar, Cabrera Homers as Tigers Even ALDS with Yankees
- Cano Shines with Slam: Yankees Take Game 1 vs. Tigers
- Moreland's Late Blast Helps Rangers Even Series with Rays
- Halladay Recovers as Phillies Offense Pounds Cards in Game 1
- Gallardo and Fielder Lead Brewers to Game 1 Victory over Diamondbacks
- Philliess Slugger Raul Ibanez Back in Swing of Things
- Aces Low: Washout Costs Tigers-Yanks No. 1 Starters For Opener
- Red-Hot Rays Rip Rangers in ALDS Opener
- Sinking Ship Costs Skipper Terry Francona
- MLB Baseball Divisional Playoffs Preview
- Wild Finish: Rays and Cards In; Red Sox and Braves Crumble
- Awful End To Awful Season For Red Sox Outfielder Carl Crawford
- Marlins Next for Ozzie Guillen
- Yanks Seek Cash Back: Want GM to Return in 2012
- Nationals Being Cautious: Innings Limit For Strasburg Next Season
- Jim Thome Plays Hot Corner One Last Time for Indians
- Indians Skipper Says Tribe Can Be Serious Contender In 2012
- Judge Dismisses 9 of 11 Counts of Fraud Against New York Mets Owners
- Mariners and A's to Open 2012 MLB Season in Japan
Copyright © 2011 AHN - All Rights Reserved