NY, NY, United States
Novak Djokovic shook off a balky back and a feisty foe in Rafael Nadal to capture his first-ever U.S. Open title with a 6-2, 6-4, 6-7 (3), 6-1 win Monday night in New York City.
Djokovic improved his record to a remarkable 64-2 on the year.
Djokovic has captured 10 tournament titles in 2011 and is 6-0 vs. Nadal on the year, all in tourney finals, including Wimbledon.
The top-seeded Djokovic took time out to stretch out his balky back after losing the third set tiebreaker but went on to dominate the fourth set over his familiar foe, the No. 2 seed in the event.
Djokovic's powerful forehand and ability to win his share of some of the match's marathon points keyed the victory.
He justly soaked in the cheers of the Flushing Meadows crowd after his conquest, while the classy but overmatched Nadal quietly packed up his tennis racket.
Novak Djokovic takes apart Rafael Nadal to win first-ever U.S. Open
Djokovic Rallies to Beat Federer in Semis
- Djokovic Takes Apart Nadal to Win First-Ever U.S. Open Tennis Championship
- Stosur Dominates U.S. Open Women's Final as Serena Blows Cool
- Michael Jordan Docked $100K For Lockout Comments
- MLB Keeps Mets From Honoring First Responders
- No. 2 LSU, third-ranked Alabama Romps Highlight Week Two
- Ohio State Survives Scare from Toledo
- Michigan State Piles Up Yards in Lopsided Win Over Florida Atlantic
- Arizona State Overcomes Late Surge Stuns Mizzou In Overtime
- ACC Considering Raising Buyout Amount If Teams Want to Leave Conference
- Legal Loopholes Hamper Texas A&M's Move to SEC
- 'Lightning' Bolt Powers Jamaica to Record 4X100 Relay Win
- Simpson Birdies Way to Deutsche Bank Championship in Playoff
- Chez Reavie Comeback Continues Despite Tough Finish at Deutsche Bank
- Thomas Bjorn Flys by Leaders Wins Easily at European Masters
- City of Vancouver Not Happy with NHL Stance Regarding Post-Game Riots
- Rebuilding Ottawa Senators Look to Bounce Back From Poor Season
- Can the Winnipeg Jets Win?
- Mistake-prone Oregon falls to LSU in Opener
- Michigan State Lineman Sets Ambitious Goals in Pursuit Of Big Ten Title
- PGA Tour's Fedex Cup Playoffs: What Are They Really?
- Keegan Bradley: PGA Champion Shakes Off Triple-Bogey
- PGA History: Rookie Keegan Bradley Gets Major Win in Playoff with Dufner
- Field Guide to the Die-hard Fan
- Klinsmann Opens Coaching Stint On Decent Note
- Dennis Rodman and Chris Mullin Headline 2011 NBA Hall of Fame Induction Class
- NBA Lock Out: Summer League Basketball Best Show in Town
- SEC Presidents Set To Meet About Possible Texas A&M Move
Copyright © 2011 AHN - All Rights Reserved