Federer, Nadal Advance to Semifinal Showdown
Roger Federer was victorious in his 1,000th career match at the Australian Open and his reward is an extremely tough showdown in match 1,001.
Federer cruised into the semifinals for the ninth straight semifinal at the season's first Grand slam event with a 6-4, 6-3, 6-2 victory over Juan Martin del Potro.
The win set up a meeting with Rafael Nadal, who outlasted Tomas Berdych, 6-7 (5-7), 7-6 (8-6), 6-4, 6-3.
Federer will be looking to add to his record 16 Grand Slam titles.
"It's a lot of matches and a lot tennis," Federer said. "Either I have been around for a long time or I'm extremely fit. You decide which way you want to describe it. But I'm happy."
The other two men's quarterfinals are Wednesday when Andy Murray meets Kei Nishikori and top-seeded Novak Djokovic takes on David Ferrer.
Defending women's champion Kim Clijsters moved on to the semifinals and a meeting with third-seeded Victoria Azarenka by knocking off No. 1 Caroline Wozniacki 6-3, 7-6 (7-4).
Azarenka moved on by rallying for a 6-7 (0-7), 6-0, 6-2 triumph over No. 8 Agnieszka Radwanska.
In the other two women's quarterfinals Wednesday Maria Sharapova and Ekaterina Makarova meet up and No. 2 Petra Kvitova takes on unseeded Sara Errani.
- Djokovic Outlasts Nadal in Record-setting Australian Open Final
- Djokovic Outlasts Murray in Epic Semifinal at Australian Open
- Rafa Continues Dominance Over Federer
- Federer, Nadal Advance to Semifinal Showdown
- Nadal To Take Break After Australian Open
- Nadal Powers Spain to Davis Cup Victory
- Stosur Dominates U.S. Open Women's Final as Serena Blows Cool
- Novak Djokovic Topples Rafael Nadal in Wimbledon Final
- Kvitova Defies Experienced Sharapova - Captures Wimbledon Crown
- Revitalized Maria Sharapova Aiming For Second Wimbledon Title vs. Kvitova
- Nadal and Berdych Win Opening Round Wimbledon Matches
- Marathon Men John Isner - Nicolas Mahut Gear Up For Part Two At Wimbledon
Copyright © 2011 AHN - All Rights Reserved