America's Favorite TV Shows
By Felix Richter
Check out the most popular regularly scheduled primetime TV programs in the United States in 2016
While the trials and tribulations of a group of young physicists may not sound like the ideal premise for a sitcom created for mass appeal, CBS' "The Big Bang Theory" is currently proving the opposite.
The show following Sheldon Cooper and his nerdy friends is arguably the most successful comedy show on TV since "Friends" left the screen in 2004. In fact, according to recent Nielsen data, "The Big Bang Theory" was the most popular primetime TV program in the United States this year.
With an average audience of 19.9 million viewers, the show which is currently in its tenth season even beat NBC's Sunday Night Football which on average attracted 19.2 million viewers in 2016.
This chart shows the average viewership of the most popular regularly scheduled primetime TV programs in the United States in 2016.
- Netflix Surpasses Major Cable Providers
- Is TV's Reign Nearing Its End?
- 30 Years On: The Simpsons Not Aging Well
- America's Favorite TV Shows
- The Most Streamed Original TV Shows
- Top 10 Netflix TV Shows to Watch
- Scary TV Shows on Netflix to Binge-Watch
- Creepy New TV Shows We're Dying to See
- The 50 Best TV Shows of All Time
- The Best TV Shows You Should Watch Without Your Kids
- Diversity Sells
- Bruce Jenner Says 'Farewell to Bruce'
- 'Game of Thrones': Prepare for Season 5 in Just 2 Minutes
- 7 Reasons Why Beverly Goldberg Is Our Favorite TV Mom!
- 'Game of Thrones' Is the Most Pirated Show on Earth
- Idiot's Guide to 'Game of Thrones'
- 'Arrested Development' Returning With 17 Episodes
- ABC Breaks NBC's Winning Streak In Evening News
- The Day 'Lost' Fans Have Been Anticipating For A Decade
- TV BAFTA Nominees Announced
- How Time-Shifted Viewing Could Save Network TV
- Jon Stewart Defends His 'Daily Show' Successor Trevor Noah
- Netflix Is Bringing 'Full House' Back to TV. Spin-Off in the Works
- George R.R. Martin and HBO Developing New TV Series, 'Captain Cosmos'
- French Broadcaster Hacked by Islamic State
- Nielsen Relies on EXelate for Programmatic Data
- Viacom Blames Underperfoming TV Shows
- Why Fewer People Want Their MTV
- Will HBO Now Move Viewers to Cut the Cord?
- Cablevision to Offer HBO NOW to Online Customers
- Hit TV Shows Lose Luster as Cable Reruns
- Nicole Kidman's 'Grace of Monaco' Now a Lifetime Movie
- DirecTV Pulls Rob Lowe Ad Campaign After Complaint From Comcast
- Cablevision Offers Wi-Fi Phone Service
- Latest Details for Apple's Subscription TV Service
Video: "America's Favorite TV Shows"