Is TV's Reign Nearing Its End?
By Felix Richter (Statista)
This chart shows average daily TV viewing compared to internet consumption worldwide.
Averaging more than 7.5 hours a day, people around the world spend more time watching, streaming, listening and generally consuming media than ever before. That’s according to data recently published by Zenith, which also points out an interesting trend in media consumption.
For decades, TV was the undisputed number 1 in terms of daily media usage, and it still is. However, as internet consumption (both mobile and desktop) has risen sharply over the past decade, it looks as though TV’s reign could soon be coming to an end.
According to Zenith, the gap in daily consumption, which was 30 minutes last year, could shrink to just 7 minutes by 2018 and possibly vanish a year later. In line with the old adage "money follows eyeballs", online advertising expenditure is also expected [PDF] to exceed TV ad spend come 2019.
- Netflix Surpasses Major Cable Providers
- Is TV's Reign Nearing Its End?
- 30 Years On: The Simpsons Not Aging Well
- America's Favorite TV Shows
- The Most Streamed Original TV Shows
- Top 10 Netflix TV Shows to Watch
- Scary TV Shows on Netflix to Binge-Watch
- Creepy New TV Shows We're Dying to See
- The 50 Best TV Shows of All Time
- The Best TV Shows You Should Watch Without Your Kids
- Diversity Sells
- Bruce Jenner Says 'Farewell to Bruce'
- 'Game of Thrones': Prepare for Season 5 in Just 2 Minutes
- 7 Reasons Why Beverly Goldberg Is Our Favorite TV Mom!
- 'Game of Thrones' Is the Most Pirated Show on Earth
- Idiot's Guide to 'Game of Thrones'
- 'Arrested Development' Returning With 17 Episodes
- ABC Breaks NBC's Winning Streak In Evening News
- The Day 'Lost' Fans Have Been Anticipating For A Decade
- TV BAFTA Nominees Announced
- How Time-Shifted Viewing Could Save Network TV
- Jon Stewart Defends His 'Daily Show' Successor Trevor Noah
- Netflix Is Bringing 'Full House' Back to TV. Spin-Off in the Works
- George R.R. Martin and HBO Developing New TV Series, 'Captain Cosmos'
- French Broadcaster Hacked by Islamic State
- Nielsen Relies on EXelate for Programmatic Data
- Viacom Blames Underperfoming TV Shows
- Why Fewer People Want Their MTV
- Will HBO Now Move Viewers to Cut the Cord?
- Cablevision to Offer HBO NOW to Online Customers
- Hit TV Shows Lose Luster as Cable Reruns
- Nicole Kidman's 'Grace of Monaco' Now a Lifetime Movie
- DirecTV Pulls Rob Lowe Ad Campaign After Complaint From Comcast
- Cablevision Offers Wi-Fi Phone Service
- Latest Details for Apple's Subscription TV Service
Video: "Is TV's Reign Nearing Its End?"