Keep Kids Learning All Year Round
by Jeremy Cleland
I’ll admit it: My 5-year-old son probably gets more screen time than is recommended.
He’s what the experts call a digital native — he’s growing up with smartphones and tablets as ubiquitous devices.
In my quest to turn his tech time into education time, here are three iOS/Android apps I found that ensure kids can learn while playing, too:
The animated characters in this app can compete with any on TV, and they engage kids through games and activities in counting, adding, subtracting, and even geometry. There are fun settings, too, like the Moose Juice Store — where kids learn math by following recipes — or Puck’s Pet Shop, where kids can earn rewards to build their own city or decorate buildings.
These award-winning apps teach kids everything about electricity, light and sound while transcending the boredom from the textbooks of yesteryears. Through animation, quizzes and experiments, kids can dig in to understand how the world around them works. There is also a glossary that helps them learn science terms, and each lesson is fully narrated so they can follow along.
It’s as if kids get to travel inside the human body via this app, which features medically accurate 3D anatomy models while de-mystifying how our bodies work. Kids can find out why their hearts beat, how their brain is connected to their body and, perhaps most fun, they discover what happens to food when they eat it.
With these high-quality learning apps, screen time definitely becomes an asset for kids versus something for busy parents to feel guilty about.
Jeremy Cleland has been a spokesperson for several Silicon Valley startups, like Tesla Motors, and spearheaded global stories about technology featured in media like Vice, Time magazine, Forbes and Wired.com. He’s also the dad to a 5-year-old who is already more tech-savvy than him.
More TECHNOLOGY ...
- Apps to Purchase Event Tickets at Discounted Prices
- Virtual Pet Apps That Teach Children Responsibility
- Best Music Making Apps & Sites for Kids
- Instagram Do's and Don't's
- Music Streaming Apps Teens Love
- Make Your Smartphone Your Personal Trainer
- 3 Free Texting Apps Kids Love
- Best Apps for Young Aspiring Writers
- Help Make Your Kid a 'Maker'
- Best Foreign Language Apps for Kids
- Best Goal-Setting Apps for Kids
- Best Reading Apps for Kids
- Smart Educational Apps for Kids
- Spend Less with These In-Store Apps
- Worthy Personal Finance Apps
- Get Organized with These 3 Apps
- Meditation Apps that Lower Stress
- Hot New Beauty Apps You'll Love
- Sleep Better Thanks to These Mobile Apps
- Pocket App: Changing Reading While On-the-Go
- Ready, Set, Relax Apps
- Apps to Monitor Your Nutrition
- Apps to Help You Care for the Elderly
- Fun Family Activity Apps
- Photo Apps That'll Make You Look Like a Star
- Make Your Family A Digital Scrapbook
- Keep Kids Learning All Year Round
- Travel Apps For Last-Minute Vacations
- Getting Started with Mobile Payment Apps
- The 5 Most Appetizing Meal Delivery Apps
- Mobile Calendar App Time-Savers
- What Your Teens Should Know Before Using Snapchat
- Tell Visual Stories With Your Smartphone
- How To Use Photoshop Mix
- Best Free Mobile Video Editing Apps
- Best Photo Apps To Download Now
- Do You Really Need a Fitbit?
- Get Organized With Online Appointment Scheduling
- Best Apps for On-the-Go Business Owners
- Top 5 Healthcare Apps Right Now
- 5 Best Fitness Apps
- Must-Have Apps for New York City
- Time-Saving Apps for Moms
- There's a Map for That
Article: Copyright © 2016 Studio One Networks. All rights reserved.
"Keep Kids Learning All Year Round"