Make Your Smartphone Your Personal Trainer
by Milvian Prieto
Tired of hitting up the same old workout routine? Or looking to get a jumpstart into getting fit?
There are a plethora of fitness apps that are available through your smartphone to help you track your health and workout goals. But before you download any and assume the technology will do the work for you, keep in mind what you truly want to accomplish. According to a study by the American Journal of Preventive Medicine, researchers found that not all fitness apps are created equally and users should consider their individual needs before selecting an app to increase physical activity.
Americans work more hours than any other country, which means longer hours at the office per day, more sitting, and less time dedicated to exercise and sleep. But even for the nine-to-five employee, the mother who is constantly on-the-go, or the couch potato who just can’t seem to put the remote down, the first step to getting fit is setting aside time and creating a few personal goals.
Here are a few apps to kick start your fitness and get you going:
If you’re looking for a personal trainer right at your fingertips via your smartphone, you may have hit the jackpot. No need to hit the gym and use equipment with this app. FitStar provides easy-to-follow customized workout tutorials that can be done virtually anywhere -- at home, the park or on the road. For the elite athlete or the novice, the app adjusts the intensity of the workout routines based on feedback you provide.
FitStar is compatible with other major fitness apps like FitBit, Jawbone UP and MyFitnessPal to automatically sync your activity.
Cost: Free for Basic, $7.99/month for FitStar Premium (Available on iOS and Android)
This game-like app helps you eat healthier by creating small reminders to make changes to your daily eating routine until it becomes a habit. These reminders are divided into levels and may include drinking a tall glass of water at dinner or eating a piece of fruit before you head to work.
You can level-up by checking off these reminders once they become daily habits and Simple Steps automatically unlocks the next challenge.
Cost: Free (Available on iOS and Android)
Researchers at Johnson & Johnson’s Human Performance Institute have come up with a solution to make every minute of your workout count. This app is perfect for you if you’re away from home or working a long day and want to break a quick sweat.
All you need is a wall, floor and a chair to get going. With over 1,000 workout variations to choose from, this app allows you to become your own personal trainer all while monitoring your performance and tracking your progress.
Cost: Free (Available on iOS and Android)
Everyone has a different way of doing things and fitness is no exception. Whether it’s hitting the gym or doing at-home workouts, setting fitness goals and using these apps to implement them into your daily routine will jumpstart a healthy lifestyle.
Milvian Prieto, a New Jersey-based writer, is on a quest to find the best apps that benefit 20-somethings and young families. She loves learning about technology and the way it impacts our lives.
- Google's Waze Carpool App Expands
- How Smart Are 'Smart' Assistants?
- Most Hashtagged Cities On Instagram
- Apple's App Store Set For 5 Million Apps By 2020
- The Dating App World Map
- The Perfect Holiday Shopping Assistant
- Apps to Purchase Event Tickets at Discounted Prices
- Virtual Pet Apps That Teach Children Responsibility
- Best Music Making Apps & Sites for Kids
- Instagram Do's and Don't's
- Music Streaming Apps Teens Love
- Make Your Smartphone Your Personal Trainer
- 3 Free Texting Apps Kids Love
- Best Apps for Young Aspiring Writers
- Help Make Your Kid a 'Maker'
- Best Foreign Language Apps for Kids
- Best Goal-Setting Apps for Kids
- Best Reading Apps for Kids
- Smart Educational Apps for Kids
- Spend Less with These In-Store Apps
- Worthy Personal Finance Apps
- Get Organized with These 3 Apps
- Meditation Apps that Lower Stress
- Hot New Beauty Apps You'll Love
- Sleep Better Thanks to These Mobile Apps
- Pocket App: Changing Reading While On-the-Go
- Ready, Set, Relax Apps
- Apps to Monitor Your Nutrition
- Apps to Help You Care for the Elderly
- Fun Family Activity Apps
- Photo Apps That'll Make You Look Like a Star
- Make Your Family A Digital Scrapbook
- Keep Kids Learning All Year Round
- Travel Apps For Last-Minute Vacations
- Getting Started with Mobile Payment Apps
- The 5 Most Appetizing Meal Delivery Apps
- Mobile Calendar App Time-Savers
- What Your Teens Should Know Before Using Snapchat
- Tell Visual Stories With Your Smartphone
- How To Use Photoshop Mix
- Best Free Mobile Video Editing Apps
- Best Photo Apps To Download Now
- Do You Really Need a Fitbit?
- Get Organized With Online Appointment Scheduling
- Best Apps for On-the-Go Business Owners
- Top 5 Healthcare Apps Right Now
- 5 Best Fitness Apps
- Must-Have Apps for New York City
- Time-Saving Apps for Moms
- There's a Map for That
Article: Copyright © 2017 Studio One Networks. All rights reserved.