Best Goal-Setting Apps for Kids
by Bev Bachel
Why do some kids seem to accomplish so much more than others?
It’s not because they’re smarter or more talented. In part, it’s because some kids are simply better at setting and reaching goals. If that’s a skill you’d like your kids to have — you’re in good company.
“Goal-setting is an essential skill for helping kids get where they want to go now and throughout life,” says Annie Fox, author of Teaching Kids to Be Good People: Progressive Parenting For the 21st Century. “Start by helping them set small, short-term goals. For example, ‘I’m going to finish this math in 30 minutes.’ Hold them accountable, and they'll learn to hold themselves accountable. Remember, you’re looking for progress…not perfection.”
But even if your kids (or you, for that matter) haven’t had much experience setting goals, there’s good news: goal-setting is a skill your kids can learn. And just like tying their shoes, dribbling a basketball or speaking a new language, the more they practice, the easier it gets.
Here are three apps that can help your kids set and reach their goals:
No. 1: Finish
Cost: Free on the App Store
Winner of an Apple Design Award, this designed-by-teens app calls itself “the to-do list for procrastinators.” Kids make a list of tasks and due dates, and the app automatically groups and prioritizes them.
What they’ll love
The app also archives completed tasks so kids can get the satisfaction of keeping track of (and feeling good about) what they’ve already accomplished.
No. 2: iWish Life Goals and Bucket List
This app encourages kids to dream big and features 700+ amazing ideas for goals in several important categories, including career, travel, adventure and personal development. The app makes it easy to set deadlines and reminders.
What they’ll love
Kids can create dream-board collages and slideshows filled with colorful images that can help them tap into the power of visualization to see and reach their goals.
No. 3: Mint
Mint enables kids to set up personal savings goals and offers custom tips along the way. You can also help your kids easily connect Mint to sync with their bank account to help them track their saving and spending via lists and graphs.
What they’ll love
They can name their own spending goals and the target amount, like “New Electric Scooter: $400” or “Weekend Trip to Lego Land: $1,500” and track their progress on a daily basis.
Freelance writer Bev Bachel lives in Minneapolis and uses her phone to talk, text and email friends and family around the world. She’s the author of What Do You Really Want? How to Set a Goal and Go For It!
- Top 10 Grossing iPhone Apps in the United States
- Top 10 Grossing Android Apps in the United States
- App Users Spend 77% of Their Time on Their Top 3 Apps
- Google's Waze Carpool App Expands
- How Smart Are 'Smart' Assistants?
- Most Hashtagged Cities On Instagram
- Apple's App Store Set For 5 Million Apps By 2020
- The Dating App World Map
- The Perfect Holiday Shopping Assistant
- Apps to Purchase Event Tickets at Discounted Prices
- Virtual Pet Apps That Teach Children Responsibility
- Best Music Making Apps & Sites for Kids
- Instagram Do's and Don't's
- Music Streaming Apps Teens Love
- Make Your Smartphone Your Personal Trainer
- 3 Free Texting Apps Kids Love
- Best Apps for Young Aspiring Writers
- Help Make Your Kid a 'Maker'
- Best Foreign Language Apps for Kids
- Best Goal-Setting Apps for Kids
- Best Reading Apps for Kids
- Smart Educational Apps for Kids
- Spend Less with These In-Store Apps
- Worthy Personal Finance Apps
- Get Organized with These 3 Apps
- Meditation Apps that Lower Stress
- Hot New Beauty Apps You'll Love
- Sleep Better Thanks to These Mobile Apps
- Pocket App: Changing Reading While On-the-Go
- Ready, Set, Relax Apps
- Apps to Monitor Your Nutrition
- Apps to Help You Care for the Elderly
- Fun Family Activity Apps
- Photo Apps That'll Make You Look Like a Star
- Make Your Family A Digital Scrapbook
- Keep Kids Learning All Year Round
- Travel Apps For Last-Minute Vacations
- Getting Started with Mobile Payment Apps
- The 5 Most Appetizing Meal Delivery Apps
- Mobile Calendar App Time-Savers
- What Your Teens Should Know Before Using Snapchat
- Tell Visual Stories With Your Smartphone
- How To Use Photoshop Mix
- Best Free Mobile Video Editing Apps
- Best Photo Apps To Download Now
- Do You Really Need a Fitbit?
- Get Organized With Online Appointment Scheduling
- Best Apps for On-the-Go Business Owners
- Top 5 Healthcare Apps Right Now
- 5 Best Fitness Apps
- Must-Have Apps for New York City
- Time-Saving Apps for Moms
- There's a Map for That
Article: Copyright © 2017 Studio One Networks. All rights reserved.