Meditation Apps that Lower Stress
by Bev Bachel
Dr. Jon Kabat-Zinn, the father of mindfulness-based stress reduction (MBSR), recently delivered a lecture at the University of Minnesota, and my friend Liz Anema was there. She assists with MBSR experientials in the Twin Cities and teaches mindfulness classes at The Marsh, a nationally acclaimed center for balance and fitness in Minnetonka, Minn.
Anema said Kabat-Zinn was amazing. “He actually had 2,300 people meditating so quietly that you could hear a pin drop,” she explained.
But you don’t have to attend a Kabat-Zinn lecture in order to meditate with him. You can purchase one or all three of his JKZ Series (iOS/Android) apps instead. Each costs $9.99, which is worth the price since they come jam-packed with great features, including daily practices and journal exercises, and can be used in conjunction with Kabat-Zinn’s books.
Anema particularly appreciates the app’s Zen-like messages she receives throughout the day. They include “You can be nobody but yourself” and “There’s no place to be but right here, right now.” “I have them set to arrive between 9 a.m. and 9 p.m.,” says Liz, who credits the messages with helping her to be more mindful, even during busy, stress-filled days.
Other great meditation apps exist as well. Aside from the JKZ Series, here are two more of my favorites:
Cost: Free (iOS/Android)
This app is a “portable stress management tool” that teaches you diaphragmatic breathing, a technique that’s been taught for centuries as a way of reducing stress and decreasing the body’s fight or flight response.
Choose the breathing cycle that’s right for you, and the app makes it easy to practice. As you develop your skills, you can begin to “belly breathe” as you walk, drive, watch TV, attend meetings and perform other everyday activities.
strong>Cost: $2.99/$1.99 (iOS/Android)
Designed to help reduce stress and increase well-being, this app gives you everything you need to develop a regular meditation practice.
It’s easy to use, even for beginners, yet it’s robust enough for serious practitioners. You choose how long you want to meditate and whether you want to do so in silence or with the help of a guide. You can also use the app to track your progress.
So whether you’re seeking to be less stressed or more mindful, these apps can help — and thankfully, they’re just a download away.
Freelance writer Bev Bachel lives in Minneapolis and uses her phone to talk, text and email friends and family around the world. She’s the author of What Do You Really Want? How to Set a Goal and Go For It!
- Google's Waze Carpool App Expands
- How Smart Are 'Smart' Assistants?
- Most Hashtagged Cities On Instagram
- Apple's App Store Set For 5 Million Apps By 2020
- The Dating App World Map
- The Perfect Holiday Shopping Assistant
- Apps to Purchase Event Tickets at Discounted Prices
- Virtual Pet Apps That Teach Children Responsibility
- Best Music Making Apps & Sites for Kids
- Instagram Do's and Don't's
- Music Streaming Apps Teens Love
- Make Your Smartphone Your Personal Trainer
- 3 Free Texting Apps Kids Love
- Best Apps for Young Aspiring Writers
- Help Make Your Kid a 'Maker'
- Best Foreign Language Apps for Kids
- Best Goal-Setting Apps for Kids
- Best Reading Apps for Kids
- Smart Educational Apps for Kids
- Spend Less with These In-Store Apps
- Worthy Personal Finance Apps
- Get Organized with These 3 Apps
- Meditation Apps that Lower Stress
- Hot New Beauty Apps You'll Love
- Sleep Better Thanks to These Mobile Apps
- Pocket App: Changing Reading While On-the-Go
- Ready, Set, Relax Apps
- Apps to Monitor Your Nutrition
- Apps to Help You Care for the Elderly
- Fun Family Activity Apps
- Photo Apps That'll Make You Look Like a Star
- Make Your Family A Digital Scrapbook
- Keep Kids Learning All Year Round
- Travel Apps For Last-Minute Vacations
- Getting Started with Mobile Payment Apps
- The 5 Most Appetizing Meal Delivery Apps
- Mobile Calendar App Time-Savers
- What Your Teens Should Know Before Using Snapchat
- Tell Visual Stories With Your Smartphone
- How To Use Photoshop Mix
- Best Free Mobile Video Editing Apps
- Best Photo Apps To Download Now
- Do You Really Need a Fitbit?
- Get Organized With Online Appointment Scheduling
- Best Apps for On-the-Go Business Owners
- Top 5 Healthcare Apps Right Now
- 5 Best Fitness Apps
- Must-Have Apps for New York City
- Time-Saving Apps for Moms
- There's a Map for That
Article: Copyright © 2017 Studio One Networks. All rights reserved.