Smart Educational Apps for Kids
by Bev Bachel
If your kids are 10 and under, there’s a wide range of educational apps that can help make their screen time more valuable. But with thousands of available apps, how do you know which are truly educational? “You can’t always trust the top downloads on the app store or Google Play,” says Colleen Russo, a Vanderbilt University education expert. Instead, she suggests starting with consumer review sites such as Common Sense Media, which rates apps based on their educational merit and how age-appropriate they are.
Russo also suggests looking for a well-defined interface. In other words, a good app for children should allow them to tap or trace outside the lines, and won’t leave them feeling frustrated if the app is unforgiving of their imperfect touch. “Also, apps will ideally notice if your child keeps getting something wrong and prompt him or her to revisit the original lesson,” adds Russo. Clear instructions are also a must, as is a parent/teacher section that explains the intended educational gains and the research behind the app.
Russo has spent time evaluating hundreds of apps, and the following are six educational apps (available in the iTunes or Google Android stores) that she recommends, along with why your kids (and you!) will love them:
Ages: 5 and under - Cost: $6.99
Juggle. Kind. Quarrel. These are just a few of the words kids will have fun learning with the adorable monsters in this ABC and vocabulary-building app. Each word features an interactive puzzle with talking letters and a short animation illustrating the definition.
Nosy Crow eBooks
Ages: 3 and up - Cost: $4.99
From classics like Cinderella to originals like Baby Aliens Got My Teacher, Nosy Crow ebooks offer a variety or reading opportunities for kids of all ages.
Gracie and Friends
Ages: 4 and up - Cost: Free
This suite of math apps is based on research and funded by the National Science Foundation. The apps teach important math building blocks and allow kids to progress at their own pace.
Ages: 3 and up - Cost: $3.99-4.99
Turn screen time into learning and decision-making time with Motion Math’s suite of fun problem-solving math games for kids of all ages. The Hungry Guppy game teaches pre-schoolers how to count and do basic addition using simplified touch-and-drag functions that are a perfect fit for their less-precise fingers, while the Cupcake and Pizza games teach kids ages 8 and up the math they need to know—everything from purchasing supplies to delivering orders—to own their own bakery or pizzeria.
Ages: 7 and up - Cost: Free
Help launch kids into outer space by giving them access to NASA TV and thousands of photos and videos with this official NASA app. Gravity-defying, it’s jam-packed with information on astronomy and the U.S. space program.
Sid’s Science Fair
Ages: 3-6 - Cost: $2.99
Based on the Sid the Science Kid show on PBS, this app teaches kids a variety of basic science concepts at three different science stations: Collection Inspection teaches kids the power of observation, Chart It helps them categorize and sort objects by color, shape, size, and other criteria, and Time Machine enables them to see specific processes in action, like a snowman melting, a flower growing, or an apple being eaten.
Freelance writer Bev Bachel lives in Minneapolis and uses her phone to talk, text and email friends and family around the world. She’s the author of What Do You Really Want? How to Set a Goal and Go For It!
- Google's Waze Carpool App Expands
- How Smart Are 'Smart' Assistants?
- Most Hashtagged Cities On Instagram
- Apple's App Store Set For 5 Million Apps By 2020
- The Dating App World Map
- The Perfect Holiday Shopping Assistant
- Apps to Purchase Event Tickets at Discounted Prices
- Virtual Pet Apps That Teach Children Responsibility
- Best Music Making Apps & Sites for Kids
- Instagram Do's and Don't's
- Music Streaming Apps Teens Love
- Make Your Smartphone Your Personal Trainer
- 3 Free Texting Apps Kids Love
- Best Apps for Young Aspiring Writers
- Help Make Your Kid a 'Maker'
- Best Foreign Language Apps for Kids
- Best Goal-Setting Apps for Kids
- Best Reading Apps for Kids
- Smart Educational Apps for Kids
- Spend Less with These In-Store Apps
- Worthy Personal Finance Apps
- Get Organized with These 3 Apps
- Meditation Apps that Lower Stress
- Hot New Beauty Apps You'll Love
- Sleep Better Thanks to These Mobile Apps
- Pocket App: Changing Reading While On-the-Go
- Ready, Set, Relax Apps
- Apps to Monitor Your Nutrition
- Apps to Help You Care for the Elderly
- Fun Family Activity Apps
- Photo Apps That'll Make You Look Like a Star
- Make Your Family A Digital Scrapbook
- Keep Kids Learning All Year Round
- Travel Apps For Last-Minute Vacations
- Getting Started with Mobile Payment Apps
- The 5 Most Appetizing Meal Delivery Apps
- Mobile Calendar App Time-Savers
- What Your Teens Should Know Before Using Snapchat
- Tell Visual Stories With Your Smartphone
- How To Use Photoshop Mix
- Best Free Mobile Video Editing Apps
- Best Photo Apps To Download Now
- Do You Really Need a Fitbit?
- Get Organized With Online Appointment Scheduling
- Best Apps for On-the-Go Business Owners
- Top 5 Healthcare Apps Right Now
- 5 Best Fitness Apps
- Must-Have Apps for New York City
- Time-Saving Apps for Moms
- There's a Map for That
Article: Copyright © 2017 Studio One Networks. All rights reserved.