Mountain View, CA
The massive success of Google's Android OS on Samsung smartphones has the search giant fretting. Samsung smartphones run on Android and it has dominated the global market.
Other manufacturers like Sony and HTC use Android but Samsung still holds the most clout. It has led to Google fearing that the Korean-based company may have the upper hand when the two companies negotiate on a new deal.
"There is a threat from Samsung to Google that is real. Over time, Samsung will be able to leverage its market-share dominance to negotiate better terms from Google," investment bank Rutberg & Co. managing director Rajeev Chand said, according to the Wall Street Journal.
Samsung is in the position to demand a bigger cut of Google's mobile advertising revenues. Samsung has an estimated 215 million smartphones this year, which accounts for 30 percent of the total smartphone market. Last year, Samsung held 42 percent of smartphones using Android.
Not only is Samsung dominating the competition in the smartphone arena, its tablet market share is also increasing.
Of course, Google has noticed. It's been long rumored that the company is developing a Google smartphone.
- Cloud Computing: Cost, Efficiency and Security
- The Internet Racket
- The Cell Phone Turns 40
- Tablets to Overtake Smartphones as Most Used Mobile Device for Browsing
- Smartphone and tablet users watch more movies on average
- Bill Gates Talks Tech and Philanthropy
- Yahoo Shuts Down Several Projects
- Pinterest Could Soon be Second Most Used Social Network
- Do You Take This Smartphone for Better or Worse?
- Microsoft experiences cyberattack; employee computers affected
- Android targeted by malware and cybercriminals
- Google's Project Glass to become more stylish
- HP Shifting from PC Manufacturing to Tablets
- Microsoft Windows Blue to have added search functionality
- Google Fears Samsung's Android OS dominance
- Apple iWatch Could Be Unveiled This Year
- Galaxy S4 Rumors Continue to Dominate Smartphone News
- Smartphones to Finally Outnumber Feature Phones this Year
- Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 to go head-to-head against iPad Mini
- The Death of Depth
- Future Smart Devices Will Extend Our Senses
- Google Offers Virtual Hike Through the Grand Canyon
- Facebook Fasting
- Facebook 'Unfriending' Triggers Real-life Consequences
- Report Highlights Economic Threat of Hacking
- Twitter Hit by Cyber Attack
- Best New Tech For Moms At The Consumer Electronics Show
- CES 2013 Tech Gadgets
- Will Robots Steal Your Job?
- Top Tech at CES 2013
- Wearable Tech Takes CES 2013 by Storm
- Web Gadgets in United States Outnumber Americans
(c) 2013 AHN - All Rights Reserved, "Google Fears Samsung's Android OS dominance"