Palo Alto, CA
With struggling global PC sales, computer manufacturer HP is shifting its focus to tablets. Chief executive officer Meg Whitman believes that HP still has what it takes to undergo innovation.
"In September 2011 we were nowhere on mobility, so we're catching up fast but we have to manage these transitions when they were perhaps not managed as well as they could have been
"We're not incrementally changing the business, we are shifting resources from PCs to tablets, from one operating system to another, from one kind of chipset to another," Whitman said during the Morgan Stanley conference in San Francisco.
HP has already moved towards a different direction after launching a Chromebook and an Android tablet.
Whitman took HP's CEO job two years ago. She wants the company to meet "specific needs of customer segments." The company plans to start developing simple and small projects.
To cut costs, HP is undergoing a three-year plan of laying off workers. HP employs an estimated 300, 000 employees.
HP's tablet is cheaper than Google's 7-inch gadget, but does it compromise on quality? We go hands-on in this video
HP dives into Android with the Slate 7 tablet
- Cloud Computing: Cost, Efficiency and Security
- The Internet Racket
- The Cell Phone Turns 40
- Tablets to Overtake Smartphones as Most Used Mobile Device for Browsing
- Smartphone and tablet users watch more movies on average
- Bill Gates Talks Tech and Philanthropy
- Yahoo Shuts Down Several Projects
- Pinterest Could Soon be Second Most Used Social Network
- Do You Take This Smartphone for Better or Worse?
- Microsoft experiences cyberattack; employee computers affected
- Android targeted by malware and cybercriminals
- Google's Project Glass to become more stylish
- HP Shifting from PC Manufacturing to Tablets
- Microsoft Windows Blue to have added search functionality
- Google Fears Samsung's Android OS dominance
- Apple iWatch Could Be Unveiled This Year
- Galaxy S4 Rumors Continue to Dominate Smartphone News
- Smartphones to Finally Outnumber Feature Phones this Year
- Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 to go head-to-head against iPad Mini
- The Death of Depth
- Future Smart Devices Will Extend Our Senses
- Google Offers Virtual Hike Through the Grand Canyon
- Facebook Fasting
- Facebook 'Unfriending' Triggers Real-life Consequences
- Report Highlights Economic Threat of Hacking
- Twitter Hit by Cyber Attack
- Best New Tech For Moms At The Consumer Electronics Show
- CES 2013 Tech Gadgets
- Will Robots Steal Your Job?
- Top Tech at CES 2013
- Wearable Tech Takes CES 2013 by Storm
- Web Gadgets in United States Outnumber Americans
(c) 2013 AHN - All Rights Reserved, "HP Shifting from PC Manufacturing to Tablets"