Twitter Falls Behind the Competition
by Felix Richter (Statista)
This chart compares Twitter's long-term user growth to that of the company's competitors.
Twitter's biggest problem for the past few years has been its lackluster user growth.
Under the circumstances it must have been especially hard for the company to admit that it overstated its monthly active user numbers by one or two million since the fourth quarter of 2014 due to a miscalculation. In its third quarter earnings report, Twitter announced that its active user base had grown by four million over the past three months, but compared to other social media and messaging platforms that is nothing to brag about.
Now at 330 million monthly active users, Twitter added just 23 million users in the past two years (maybe 25 million considering that pre Q4 2016 numbers weren't restated after the miscalculation mentioned above). As our chart illustrates, many of the company's rivals have grown by more than ten times that in the same period.
- Music Streaming's Unstoppable Rise
- Internet Shutdowns Increasing
- Always On Facebook
- Where Ad Fraud is Rife
- Snapchat Number One Among Teens
- Where People Can't Live Without The Internet
- Twitter Falls Behind the Competition
- Behind Google's Online Empire
- Is TV's Reign Nearing Its End?
- Social Media: The Great Influencer
- Where Social Media is Under Assault
- Top 10 Airlines: In-flight Internet
- Are You Friends with Your Kid on Facebook?
- How to Curate Your Facebook Friend Lists
- How to Stop a Facebook Hoax
- The Dangers of Internet Dating
- Social Networks Go Private
- Why Internet.org Might Not Be A Great Idea
- How to Gain More Instagram Followers
- Fun Online Dating Sites for Newbies
- Manage your Web-Surfing Time Better
- Manage Your Social Media Better
- The Ultimate Guide to Internet Service
- Best Cloud Storage Options
- The Ins and Outs of Vine
- How Facebook Housekeeping Can Improve Your Social Image
- Make Your Own Memes
- Crowdfunding 101
- How To Save Money With These Online Tax Programs
- Are Teens Moving Away From Facebook?
- Make the Most out of Social Media in 4 Easy Steps
- What Content Streaming Service is Right For You?
- Three Websites to Increase Your Teen's Productivity
- Cooking Websites Your Kids Will Love
- How to Help Your Kids Be Good Digital Citizens