Mobile Data: Who's Using The Most
by Niall McCarthy (Statista)
This chart shows mobile data usage per mobile broadband subscription in gigabytes per month by country.
A new report has found that mobile broadband penetration across the OECD has hit 99.3 percent, equating to one high-speed mobile broadband subscription for every inhabitant. In recent years, pricing in mobile markets shifted from telephony to data usage in order to take advantage of 4G services designed for IP-based traffic. As a result, providers in many countries have offered unlimited data packages and that has seen data usage levels rise considerably. The following infographic shows mobile data usage per mobile broadband subscription in selected OECD countries in 2016, with Finland ahead by a long distance.
Last year, an average Finnish smartphone user consumed just under 11GB of data every month, considerably more than in most other countries. This is mainly due to Finnish users having the option of selecting their desired speed for all services without facing a usage cap. According to the OECD, Elisa offers tiered speeds for 4G at 50 Mbps, 100 Mbps and 300Mbps including unlimited data usage. By comparison, U.S. smartphone owners used far less data per month last year on average, a mere 2.67GB. Even though some operators such as Sprint and T-Mobile do offer unlimited data plans, others are still stuck back in the 3G-era.
- Do Not Break Your iPhone
- Smartphone Prices Trending Upwards
- iPhone X Steals the Show
- What The iPhone X Costs Around The World
- Mobile Data: Who's Using The Most
- Smartphones Cause Photography Boom
- Most iPhone Users Never Look Back
- The iPhone Price Index
- Most Used Devices
- Africans Never Hung Up on Nokia Brick
- Smartphone Addiction Tightens Its Global Grip
- Teens and Their Smartphones
- The (Still) Limited Reach of Apple Pay
- Chinese Smartphone Players
- Landline Phones Are a Dying Breed
- When Will 5G Hit the Mainstream?
- Apple & Nokia See Deeper Partnership
- iPhone Still Apple's Cash Cow Despite Declining Sales
- The Smartphone Afterlife
- Smartphone Market Not a Two-Horse Race
- The Perfect Holiday Shopping Assistant
- Must-use Security Features on Your iPhone
- Benefits of Learning How to Use Your Smartphone Camera
- Questions to Ask Before You Buy a New Smartphone
- Benefits and Features to Look For When Buying a Smartphone
- What Data Plan is Right For You?
- Make a Smarter Upgrade