Smartphone Prices Trending Upwards
by Felix Richter (Statista)
This chart shows global average smartphone sales prices from 2012 to 2017.
As Apple is launches its most expensive smartphone to date, the iPhone X starting at $999 in the U.S., data released by market research firm GfK suggests that smartphone prices in general are trending upwards this year.
Driven by the industry’s stronger focus on the high-end market, GfK expects the global average sales price to increase from $306 to $324 this year, the largest year-over-year increase to date.
"The industry has clearly been switching its focus to drive sales value, and top tier global brands, such as Apple, Google, HTC, Huawei, LG, Moto, Nokia, Samsung and Sony, either already have, or will release, new premium models in an effort to upsell customers to their flagship devices", notes Arndt Polifke, global director of telecom research at GfK.
As markets are increasingly saturated and unit sales growth gets harder to achieve, focusing on premium features is a welcome way for manufacturers to grow the value of their smartphone operations. GfK expects the global smartphone market to grow 4 percent in terms of units and 10 percent in terms of value his year.
- Do Not Break Your iPhone
- Smartphone Prices Trending Upwards
- iPhone X Steals the Show
- What The iPhone X Costs Around The World
- Mobile Data: Who's Using The Most
- Smartphones Cause Photography Boom
- Most iPhone Users Never Look Back
- The iPhone Price Index
- Most Used Devices
- Africans Never Hung Up on Nokia Brick
- Smartphone Addiction Tightens Its Global Grip
- Teens and Their Smartphones
- The (Still) Limited Reach of Apple Pay
- Chinese Smartphone Players
- Landline Phones Are a Dying Breed
- When Will 5G Hit the Mainstream?
- Apple & Nokia See Deeper Partnership
- iPhone Still Apple's Cash Cow Despite Declining Sales
- The Smartphone Afterlife
- Smartphone Market Not a Two-Horse Race
- The Perfect Holiday Shopping Assistant
- Must-use Security Features on Your iPhone
- Benefits of Learning How to Use Your Smartphone Camera
- Questions to Ask Before You Buy a New Smartphone
- Benefits and Features to Look For When Buying a Smartphone
- What Data Plan is Right For You?
- Make a Smarter Upgrade