Drones: A Tech Growth Market
by Dyfed Loesche (Statista)
A look at the explosive growth in consumer drones sales in the United States since 2013.
Since December 2015, Americans had to register drones that weighed more than 0.55 pounds, which in practice meant that nearly all consumer drones had to go official. Now a federal court has ruled in favor of a model aircraft enthusiast. In February 2016, he took the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) to court in Washington.
The judge decided in favor of dropping the registration rules, so personal drones won't have to be registered anymore. As our infographic shows, even with the rule in place, it didn't seem to hamper the proliferation of these unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV), to use the technical FAA term.
Sales of consumer drones to dealers in the U.S. from 2013 to 2017 (in million USD)
- Goodbye iPod
- How Big Are Next Big Things in Tech?
- Smart Speaker Race Is Heating Up
- Smart Speakers Place in the Home
- Apple Dominates Smartwatch Market
- Virtual Reality Race Leaders
- What Smartwatches Are Actually Used For
- Drones: A Tech Growth Market
- How Apple's HomePod Measures Up
- Virtual Reality Yet to Make a Big Impression
- Tablet Market Continues to Slump
- Pet Wearable Tech Latest Must-Have
- Apple's AirPods Are a Hit
- Five Years Past Peak PC
- The PC's Misery Hasn't Affected Apple