Reports by the BBC and Buzzfeed News say 16 players ranked in the top 50 have been repeatedly flagged to the Tennis Integrity Unit over suspicions they had thrown matches in the past decade. The reports say it either failed to act on information of suspicious behavior, or impose any sanctions.
All of the players, including winners of Grand Slam titles, were allowed to continue competing.
The reports have been rejected by tennis authorities, and couldn't be independently verified by Reuters. They say an inquiry in 2007 by the Association of Tennis Professionals found syndicates in Russia and Italy making hundreds of thousands of dollars betting on games that investigators believe were fixed. Three of these games were at Wimbledon.
The BBC and BuzzFeed News say they didn't name players because it wasn't possible to determine if they took part in match-fixing without access to their phone, bank and computer records.
- Serena Williams' Grand Slams
- Women's Grand Slam Singles Title Winners
- Serena's Magical 23rd Grand Slam
- Match-Fixing Reports Hit World Tennis
- Australian Open Might Be Full of Cheaters
- Reaction to Tennis Fixing Report
- Novak Djokovic Turned Down Bribe to Lose Match Early in Career
- Nadal: 'Djokovic Is World's Best'
- Serena Williams: I'm Not The Greatest Female Tennis Player
- From The Archives: Tennis Stars
- Roger Federer Upset at Australian Open
- Watch Out for New Tennis Star Madison Keys
- Shamil Tarpischev Suspended For Making Sexist Remarks About Serena & Venus
- Tennis Technology That Keeps an Eye on the Court
- Djokovic's Bathroom Pep Talk During Wimbledon Final
- Novak Djokovic Defeats Roger Federer To Win Wimbledon Final
- Nick Kyrgios' Incredible Trick Shot in Upset of Rafael Nadal
- Rufus the Hawk Keeps Wimbledon Pigeon-Free
- Fun Facts About Wimbledon
- Wonderful Wimbledon Facts
- Rafael Nadal Makes History, Wins 8th French Open
- Serena Williams Asserts Mastery over Sharapova to Win French Open
- Roger Federer Captures 900th Win
- Novak Djokovic Reaches 500-Match Win Plateau
- Serena Williams Wins 50th Title, Retains Top Ranking
- Djokovic Tops Murray, Wins Third Straight Australian Open Crown
- Victoria Azarenka Fends Off Li Na to Defend Australian Open Title
- Novak Djokovic Downs Roger Federer for ATP World Tour title
- Murray Outlasts Djokovic to Capture US Open Title
- Serena Wins 4th US Open Title; Djokovic Advances to Final
Article: Copyright © 2017, iHaveNet.com
Tennis: "Match-Fixing Reports Hit World Tennis"