America's Standing in the World
by Dyfed Loesche (Statista)
Even some allies fear the United States. This chart shows the percentage share of people from selected countries that consider the U.S.'s power and influence a 'major threat'.
While Machiavellian disciples argue that for a leader it's better to be feared than loved, the United States often sees itself as a benign hegemon, holding its shielding hand over the world, ever since she won the Second World War.
In fact, many people around the world today fear that the United States isn't always a force for good in international politics.
According to Pew Research Center, the United States' standing in the world has gone down overall.
Surprisingly, people in allied countries, such as NATO-member Turkey, or partner countries in East Asia, such as South Korea and Japan, feel threatened by American might. On the other end of the scale, people in India, Israel and Poland have a more positive outlook on America's role in the world.
- A United States - Russia Oil Showdown?
- Time to Speak Up Ladies
- Is America's National Security Strategy Better?
- The Real Spirit of Giving
- The Thucydides Trap: A Distorted Compass
- US and British Foreign Policy from One Regime Change to Another
- Trump's Looming Hard Line on China
- Firearms Background Checks Are Surging
- America's Most Dangerous Cities For Cyclists
- What America Is Snacking On
- Is Life Better Or Worse Than 50 Years Ago?
- Jobs Under Threat From Automation
- Christmas in America
- Americans Top Fears
- Police Budgets In Key U.S. Cities
- Police Deaths Spiked Last Year
- Mass Shootings in America
- Worst Mass Shootings in America
- Guns: The Armed States of America
- America's Racial Wealth Gap
- Trump's Proposed Tax Reform
- On The Warpath with North Korea?
- DACA: Who Are America's 'Dreamers'?
- Policing and Public Relations
- America's Cleanest Cities
- Immigrant Population at Record Highs
- States Benefiting Most From NAFTA
- America's Standing in the World
- American News Credibility Poll
- Military Spending on the Rise Again
- America's Best Large Employers
- Putin's Russia in Biggest Arctic Military Push Since Soviet Fall
- Could America Run Out of Dogs?
- Instability, Quagmire, & Peace
- The Fastest Disappearing Jobs
- The Dangers of Big Philanthropy
- The Pentagon's $125-Billion Cover-up
- Local Courts in the United States
- Americans Think Fake News Has an Impact
- The Year of 'Post-Truth'
- Only 5 Countries Have A Bigger GDP Than California
- Where It's Legal To Smoke Marijuana
- Drugs Killing More Americans Than Road Crashes
- America's Craft Beer Capitals
- Why Our Kids Are Coming in Last Place
- Black Youth and Elusive Freedom
- Hidden Victims of Terrorism: Muslim Women in America
- Fighting Racism Where White Workers Are Hurting, Too
United States: "America's Standing in the World "