Americans' Support For Legalizing Marijuana Reaches All-Time High
by Niall McCarthy
According to a recently-released Pew Research survey conducted, public support for the legalization of marijuana in the U.S. has reached a historic high.
Some 57 percent of U.S. adults now think the use of marijuana should be legal nationwide while 37 percent oppose legalization. Americans haven't always been fans of pot and views have changed rapidly in recent years.
In the late 1960s, 84 percent of the public opposed legalizing marijuana and that number gradually fell to 60 percent by 2006. That trend was largely driven by millennials but support has also increased among other age groups.
Today's wave of support comes as many U.S. states are relaxing their restrictions on the drug or legalizing it altogether. In June of this year, Ohio became the 25th U.S. state to legalize marijuana in some form, while in November, nine states will vote on measures to legalize or expand its use.
The economic effects of the country's legal marijuana sales are also reaching record highs with Alaska, Colorado, Oregon, Washington, and the District of Columbia selling $3.4 billion of marijuana last year.
- A United States - Russia Oil Showdown?
- Time to Speak Up Ladies
- Is America's National Security Strategy Better?
- The Real Spirit of Giving
- The Thucydides Trap: A Distorted Compass
- US and British Foreign Policy from One Regime Change to Another
- Trump's Looming Hard Line on China
- Firearms Background Checks Are Surging
- America's Most Dangerous Cities For Cyclists
- What America Is Snacking On
- Is Life Better Or Worse Than 50 Years Ago?
- Jobs Under Threat From Automation
- Christmas in America
- Americans Top Fears
- Police Budgets In Key U.S. Cities
- Police Deaths Spiked Last Year
- Mass Shootings in America
- Worst Mass Shootings in America
- Guns: The Armed States of America
- America's Racial Wealth Gap
- Trump's Proposed Tax Reform
- On The Warpath with North Korea?
- DACA: Who Are America's 'Dreamers'?
- Policing and Public Relations
- America's Cleanest Cities
- Immigrant Population at Record Highs
- States Benefiting Most From NAFTA
- America's Standing in the World
- American News Credibility Poll
- Military Spending on the Rise Again
- America's Best Large Employers
- Putin's Russia in Biggest Arctic Military Push Since Soviet Fall
- Could America Run Out of Dogs?
- Instability, Quagmire, & Peace
- The Fastest Disappearing Jobs
- The Dangers of Big Philanthropy
- The Pentagon's $125-Billion Cover-up
- Local Courts in the United States
- Americans Think Fake News Has an Impact
- The Year of 'Post-Truth'
- Only 5 Countries Have A Bigger GDP Than California
- Where It's Legal To Smoke Marijuana
- Drugs Killing More Americans Than Road Crashes
- America's Craft Beer Capitals
- Why Our Kids Are Coming in Last Place
- Black Youth and Elusive Freedom
- Hidden Victims of Terrorism: Muslim Women in America
- Fighting Racism Where White Workers Are Hurting, Too
United States: "Americans' Support For Legalizing Marijuana Reaches All-Time High"