Americans Think Fake News Has an Impact
by Dyfed Loesche
Americans actually do think that so-called fake news has the potential to cause confusion
Fake news are in the headlines
On his first press conference as incoming U.S. President, Donald Trump criticized media outlets for spreading unsubstantiated reports on Russia having allegedly compiled dossiers about him.
All the while, Americans actually do think that so-called fake news has the potential to cause confusion, according to data provided by Pew Research Center.
Trump has had his own brushes with distorted information being spread by a member of his campaign, in connection with events dubbed "Pizzagate". He also took quite a while to distance himself from the ridiculous "Birther" conspiracy theory, which states that outgoing President Barack Obama isn’t an U.S. citizen by birth.
The chart above shows views of U.S. adults on whether fake news has the power to sow confusion
Fake News Stories Are a Problem -- But Who's to Blame?
Fake news made a lot of headlines over the past few weeks and months. While some consider them a plain nuisance, others think they may have had a significant effect on the outcome of the U.S. presidential election back in November.
Whether their effect is powerful enough to change the outcome of an election is unclear, but what seems clear is that people feel increasingly misinformed. According to a survey conducted by the Pew Research Center in early December, 64 percent of Americans think that fake news is causing a great deal of confusion about the basic facts of current events.
But who’s to blame for the onslaught of fake news stories? And more importantly, who’s responsible for fighting them? Giving in to the public pressure to do something against fake news on its platform, Facebook announced a new range of tools to prevent them from spreading last week. However, the public thinks that politicians and the general public share just as much responsibility in preventing misinformation from sprawling.
This chart shows what Americans think about the fake news problem.
- The Dangers of Big Philanthropy
- The Pentagon's $125-Billion Cover-up
- Local Courts in the United States
- Americans Think Fake News Has an Impact
- The Year of 'Post-Truth'
- American Cities With the Highest Murder Rates
- Only 5 Countries Have A Bigger GDP Than California
- Where It's Legal To Smoke Marijuana
- Drugs Killing More Americans Than Road Crashes
- America's Craft Beer Capitals
- Calling Working People of All Colors
- Pacifism, Just War and Civil Liberties in a Multicultural Age
- Why Our Kids Are Coming in Last Place
- Black Youth and Elusive Freedom
- Hidden Victims of Terrorism: Muslim Women in America
- Fighting Racism Where White Workers Are Hurting, Too
- Americans' Support For Legalizing Marijuana Reaches All-Time High
- Walling Them Out, or Walling Us In?
- Where America is Most Racially Diverse
- Zika Virus in the United States
- Counties With the Highest Obesity Rate
- Most Expensive Metro Areas to Live In
- Cities Where Coffee Costs the Most
- Cost of the Emergency Room
- FBI Overwhelmed by Terror Suspects
- States Most Concerned With Mosquitoes
- Orlando and the Future of Terrorism
- The Only Sane Conclusion from Orlando
- Orlando Shooting Fuels Debate on Gun Control
- Counties That Have Suffered the Deadliest Floods
- Which States Have Banned Assault Weapons?
- Orlando: Plenty of Blame to Spread Around
- They're Killing Us. Help Us Stop Them
- Our Poverty Myth
- The Pentagon Plans for War on Many Fronts
- U.S. Immigration Policies Are Ridiculous
- Stanford Rape Case Stands Out From Most Sexual Assaults
- The Civil War Didn't End Slavery After All
- As if PTSD, CTE, and Moral Injury Weren't Enough
- Jihad an Equal Opportunity Employer
- What if the U.S. Dismantled China's Internet Firewall?
- States With the Safest Drivers
- States With the Most Dangerous Drivers
- Counties Where Medicare Spends the Most per Patient
- Locations with the Highest Gas Prices
- The Government Agencies that Employ the Most People
- Why are 29 Million People Still Uninsured?
- The Increasingly 'High' Prevalence of Marijuana
- The Cost of Child Care in Every State
- Cost of Car Insurance In Every State
- Fear, Anger and Attitudes Toward Immigration
- Wealthy Americans Don't Need Panama to Hide Their Wealth
- States with the Highest Unemployment Rates
- 26 Facts About Guantanamo Bay
- Highest Cost Per Prisoner States
- These States Have the Most Prison Deaths
- The Death Gap
- The Richest Banks
- American Cities Most at Risk of Zika Virus
- Cities With the Highest Rent
- Cities With the Greenest Commutes
- Most Racism Is Mundane
- Imprisoned by Debt
"Americans Think Fake News Has an Impact "