DACA: Who Are America's 'Dreamers'?
by Martin Armstrong (Statista)
All of America's 'Dreamers' are currently set to lose their right to stay by March 2020 unless there is some kind of turnaround in Washington. But what more do we know about these people?
After recently siding with Democrats on the issue of the debt ceiling extension, President Trump's bipartisan leanings seem to have now gone a step further. In what would be a U-turn on his September 5 decision to phase out the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program (DACA), senior Democrats Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi claim that they have come to an agreement with the president to protect the so-called 'Dreamers'.
While the message coming out of the two camps is still not completely coherent, should Schumer and Pelosi's claims turn out to be accurate, Trump will "enshrine the protections of DACA into law quickly". The Wednesday meeting supposedly also led to an agreement to "work out a package of border security, excluding the wall, that's acceptable to both sides" -- something contended by White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders.
In the middle of all the politics, with their futures very much in the balance, are around 800,000 people. Brought into the country illegally when they were children, but since granted protection from deportation by the DACA program, all of America's 'Dreamers' are currently set to lose their right to stay by March 2020 unless there is some kind of turnaround in Washington.
But what more do we know about these people?
Our infographic brings together figures from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services and a 2017 study to shed some light on the demographic makeup of 'Dreamers'.
- A United States - Russia Oil Showdown?
- Time to Speak Up Ladies
- Is America's National Security Strategy Better?
- The Real Spirit of Giving
- The Thucydides Trap: A Distorted Compass
- US and British Foreign Policy from One Regime Change to Another
- Trump's Looming Hard Line on China
- Firearms Background Checks Are Surging
- America's Most Dangerous Cities For Cyclists
- What America Is Snacking On
- Is Life Better Or Worse Than 50 Years Ago?
- Jobs Under Threat From Automation
- Christmas in America
- Americans Top Fears
- Police Budgets In Key U.S. Cities
- Police Deaths Spiked Last Year
- Mass Shootings in America
- Worst Mass Shootings in America
- Guns: The Armed States of America
- America's Racial Wealth Gap
- Trump's Proposed Tax Reform
- On The Warpath with North Korea?
- DACA: Who Are America's 'Dreamers'?
- Policing and Public Relations
- America's Cleanest Cities
- Immigrant Population at Record Highs
- States Benefiting Most From NAFTA
- America's Standing in the World
- American News Credibility Poll
- Military Spending on the Rise Again
- America's Best Large Employers
- Putin's Russia in Biggest Arctic Military Push Since Soviet Fall
- Could America Run Out of Dogs?
- Instability, Quagmire, & Peace
- The Fastest Disappearing Jobs
- The Dangers of Big Philanthropy
- The Pentagon's $125-Billion Cover-up
- Local Courts in the United States
- Americans Think Fake News Has an Impact
- The Year of 'Post-Truth'
- Only 5 Countries Have A Bigger GDP Than California
- Where It's Legal To Smoke Marijuana
- Drugs Killing More Americans Than Road Crashes
- America's Craft Beer Capitals
- Why Our Kids Are Coming in Last Place
- Black Youth and Elusive Freedom
- Hidden Victims of Terrorism: Muslim Women in America
- Fighting Racism Where White Workers Are Hurting, Too
United States: "DACA: Who Are America's 'Dreamers'? "