Drugs Killing More Americans Than Road Crashes
by Patricia Woods
Drug-induced and motor vehicle crash deaths in the U.S. from 2004 to 2014.
The United States is in the throes of a heroin and opiate epidemic with cheap supply pushing user numbers to a 20-year high. In 2014, the number of heroin users across the U.S. reached one million, three times as high as in 2003.
Drug-induced deaths are also rising steeply with heroin-related deaths increasing five-fold since 2000. Drug overdoses are now killing more Americans than car crashes, putting the sheer scale of the crisis into perspective. Back in 2004, 30,711 Americans' deaths were drug-related, according to the CDC. By 2014, the latest year for which data is available, that number went up sharply to 49,714 (the majority of the deaths involved some kind of opioid). That same year, 32,675 Americans were killed on the country's roads.
The unstoppable rise in drug-induced deaths can be attributed to a steady increase in the supply of cheap heroin from Mexico and Colombia. Legislation aimed at eroding the abuse of prescription opioids has also added to the problem. The texture of some pills was changed in order to make them more difficult to crush and inject into the bloodstream. As a result, many people abusing prescription opioids shifted over to heroin.
A deadly new drug has also appeared in some parts of the U.S. in recent years. Fentanyl is a synthetic opioid 50 times more potent than heroin and it has created a spike of overdoses across several north-eastern states. It has also been named as the drug that killed pop singer Prince.
Drug-induced deaths are also a massive global problem. According to the U.N. Office on Drugs and Crime, 207,000 deaths around the world in 2014 were drug-related.
- The Dangers of Big Philanthropy
- The Pentagon's $125-Billion Cover-up
- Local Courts in the United States
- Americans Think Fake News Has an Impact
- The Year of 'Post-Truth'
- American Cities With the Highest Murder Rates
- Only 5 Countries Have A Bigger GDP Than California
- Where It's Legal To Smoke Marijuana
- Drugs Killing More Americans Than Road Crashes
- America's Craft Beer Capitals
- Calling Working People of All Colors
- Pacifism, Just War and Civil Liberties in a Multicultural Age
- Why Our Kids Are Coming in Last Place
- Black Youth and Elusive Freedom
- Hidden Victims of Terrorism: Muslim Women in America
- Fighting Racism Where White Workers Are Hurting, Too
- Americans' Support For Legalizing Marijuana Reaches All-Time High
- Walling Them Out, or Walling Us In?
- Where America is Most Racially Diverse
- Zika Virus in the United States
- Counties With the Highest Obesity Rate
- Most Expensive Metro Areas to Live In
- Cities Where Coffee Costs the Most
- Cost of the Emergency Room
- FBI Overwhelmed by Terror Suspects
- States Most Concerned With Mosquitoes
- Orlando and the Future of Terrorism
- The Only Sane Conclusion from Orlando
- Orlando Shooting Fuels Debate on Gun Control
- Counties That Have Suffered the Deadliest Floods
- Which States Have Banned Assault Weapons?
- Orlando: Plenty of Blame to Spread Around
- They're Killing Us. Help Us Stop Them
- Our Poverty Myth
- The Pentagon Plans for War on Many Fronts
- U.S. Immigration Policies Are Ridiculous
- Stanford Rape Case Stands Out From Most Sexual Assaults
- The Civil War Didn't End Slavery After All
- As if PTSD, CTE, and Moral Injury Weren't Enough
- Jihad an Equal Opportunity Employer
- What if the U.S. Dismantled China's Internet Firewall?
- States With the Safest Drivers
- States With the Most Dangerous Drivers
- Counties Where Medicare Spends the Most per Patient
- Locations with the Highest Gas Prices
- The Government Agencies that Employ the Most People
- Why are 29 Million People Still Uninsured?
- The Increasingly 'High' Prevalence of Marijuana
- The Cost of Child Care in Every State
- Cost of Car Insurance In Every State
- Fear, Anger and Attitudes Toward Immigration
- Wealthy Americans Don't Need Panama to Hide Their Wealth
- States with the Highest Unemployment Rates
- 26 Facts About Guantanamo Bay
- Highest Cost Per Prisoner States
- These States Have the Most Prison Deaths
- The Death Gap
- The Richest Banks
- American Cities Most at Risk of Zika Virus
- Cities With the Highest Rent
- Cities With the Greenest Commutes
- Most Racism Is Mundane
- Imprisoned by Debt
"Drugs Killing More Americans Than Road Crashes "