Firearms Background Checks Are Surging
by Niall McCarthy (Statista)
This chart shows the total number of FBI National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) background checks in the United States
The FBI's National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) vets millions of U.S. gun transactions every year.
In order to function effectively, the system relies on state and local agencies as well as the military to report information such as mental illness or criminal convictions. This did not occur when a court-martialed Air Force veteran purchased a rifle in 2016 which he used to carry out a mass shooting at a church in Sutherland Springs, killing 25 people. That prompted Attorney General Jeff Sessions to order a review of NICS.
As can be seen from the following infographic, the number of background checks on U.S. firearm purchases is surging.
This year, there were 203,086 checks for transactions on Good Friday alone, the largest single day volume since the system was created in 1998. In 2000, there were 8.5 million background checks and by the end of 2016, that had increased sharply to 27.5 million. Last year also saw a considerable increase in firearm retrievals. The FBI issued 4,170 orders to seize firearms from people who should have been prevented from buying them by the vetting system in 2016, up from 2,892 in 2015. That marks the largest increase in gun retrieval requests in 10 years and reasons for the orders include mental health issues or criminal convictions.
- A United States - Russia Oil Showdown?
- Time to Speak Up Ladies
- Is America's National Security Strategy Better?
- The Real Spirit of Giving
- The Thucydides Trap: A Distorted Compass
- US and British Foreign Policy from One Regime Change to Another
- Trump's Looming Hard Line on China
- Firearms Background Checks Are Surging
- America's Most Dangerous Cities For Cyclists
- What America Is Snacking On
- Is Life Better Or Worse Than 50 Years Ago?
- Jobs Under Threat From Automation
- Christmas in America
- Americans Top Fears
- Police Budgets In Key U.S. Cities
- Police Deaths Spiked Last Year
- Mass Shootings in America
- Worst Mass Shootings in America
- Guns: The Armed States of America
- America's Racial Wealth Gap
- Trump's Proposed Tax Reform
- On The Warpath with North Korea?
- DACA: Who Are America's 'Dreamers'?
- Policing and Public Relations
- America's Cleanest Cities
- Immigrant Population at Record Highs
- States Benefiting Most From NAFTA
- America's Standing in the World
- American News Credibility Poll
- Military Spending on the Rise Again
- America's Best Large Employers
- Putin's Russia in Biggest Arctic Military Push Since Soviet Fall
- Could America Run Out of Dogs?
- Instability, Quagmire, & Peace
- The Fastest Disappearing Jobs
- The Dangers of Big Philanthropy
- The Pentagon's $125-Billion Cover-up
- Local Courts in the United States
- Americans Think Fake News Has an Impact
- The Year of 'Post-Truth'
- Only 5 Countries Have A Bigger GDP Than California
- Where It's Legal To Smoke Marijuana
- Drugs Killing More Americans Than Road Crashes
- America's Craft Beer Capitals
- Why Our Kids Are Coming in Last Place
- Black Youth and Elusive Freedom
- Hidden Victims of Terrorism: Muslim Women in America
- Fighting Racism Where White Workers Are Hurting, Too
United States: "Firearms Background Checks Are Surging "