Military Spending on the Rise Again
by Fabian Moebus (Statista)
This Infographic shows the military expenditure of the United States and Year-over-Year changes from 2007 to 2016 (in billion U.S. dollars).
The world's most expensive military is becoming even more expensive.
According to the latest report from the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI), the trend of declining US military spending, which started in 2012, is coming to an end. As our graphic illustrates, the government's expenses for troops and weaponry is on the rise again in 2016 for the first time in five years. The waning numbers in the past were mainly caused by the withdrawal of US troops from Iraq and Afghanistan as well as the repercussions of the financial crisis.
The Infographic furthermore shows the contrast between Obama's first presidential term with largely increasing military costs and his second term, which for the most part is characterized by expense reduction. Meanwhile the Trump administration plans to spend 54 billion dollars more on the military next year; in part funded by cuts in education, science and environment. This translates into another 9 percent rise from the current amount.
- A United States - Russia Oil Showdown?
- Time to Speak Up Ladies
- Is America's National Security Strategy Better?
- The Real Spirit of Giving
- The Thucydides Trap: A Distorted Compass
- US and British Foreign Policy from One Regime Change to Another
- Trump's Looming Hard Line on China
- Firearms Background Checks Are Surging
- America's Most Dangerous Cities For Cyclists
- What America Is Snacking On
- Is Life Better Or Worse Than 50 Years Ago?
- Jobs Under Threat From Automation
- Christmas in America
- Americans Top Fears
- Police Budgets In Key U.S. Cities
- Police Deaths Spiked Last Year
- Mass Shootings in America
- Worst Mass Shootings in America
- Guns: The Armed States of America
- America's Racial Wealth Gap
- Trump's Proposed Tax Reform
- On The Warpath with North Korea?
- DACA: Who Are America's 'Dreamers'?
- Policing and Public Relations
- America's Cleanest Cities
- Immigrant Population at Record Highs
- States Benefiting Most From NAFTA
- America's Standing in the World
- American News Credibility Poll
- Military Spending on the Rise Again
- America's Best Large Employers
- Putin's Russia in Biggest Arctic Military Push Since Soviet Fall
- Could America Run Out of Dogs?
- Instability, Quagmire, & Peace
- The Fastest Disappearing Jobs
- The Dangers of Big Philanthropy
- The Pentagon's $125-Billion Cover-up
- Local Courts in the United States
- Americans Think Fake News Has an Impact
- The Year of 'Post-Truth'
- Only 5 Countries Have A Bigger GDP Than California
- Where It's Legal To Smoke Marijuana
- Drugs Killing More Americans Than Road Crashes
- America's Craft Beer Capitals
- Why Our Kids Are Coming in Last Place
- Black Youth and Elusive Freedom
- Hidden Victims of Terrorism: Muslim Women in America
- Fighting Racism Where White Workers Are Hurting, Too
United States: "Military Spending on the Rise Again"