Police Budgets In Key U.S. Cities
by Niall McCarthy (Statista)
How much do u.S. Cities spend on policing? This chart shows the total police budget and share of cities' general fund expenditure.
Cities across the United States have been setting larger amounts of money aside in recent years in order to fund their police departments.
Collectively, the country spends approximately $100 billion on policing as well as a further $80 billion on incarceration. Crime levels have dropped substantially over the past three years, in tandem with larger police budgets. A report published recently argues that the drop off in crime is not directly related to the larger budgets, however.
The report was compiled by The Center for Popular Democracy, Law for Black Lives and the Black Youth Project 100 and it argues that investment in mental health, housing, youth development and living wages would prove more effective than policing. It also provides an overview of police budgets in key American cities. It found that in FY2017, Oakland allocated the highest share of its general fund towards policing, some $242.5 million. Chicago set 39.6 percent of its general fund aside ($1.46 billion) while Minneapolis allocated 35.8 percent ($163.2 million).
In terms of overall budget, New York had the largest at $4.89 billion, though this only equated to 8.2 percent of the city's general fund. On a per capita basis, spending per person on policing stands at $772 in Baltimore, $581 in New York and $381 in Los Angeles.
- A United States - Russia Oil Showdown?
- Time to Speak Up Ladies
- Is America's National Security Strategy Better?
- The Real Spirit of Giving
- The Thucydides Trap: A Distorted Compass
- US and British Foreign Policy from One Regime Change to Another
- Trump's Looming Hard Line on China
- Firearms Background Checks Are Surging
- America's Most Dangerous Cities For Cyclists
- What America Is Snacking On
- Is Life Better Or Worse Than 50 Years Ago?
- Jobs Under Threat From Automation
- Christmas in America
- Americans Top Fears
- Police Budgets In Key U.S. Cities
- Police Deaths Spiked Last Year
- Mass Shootings in America
- Worst Mass Shootings in America
- Guns: The Armed States of America
- America's Racial Wealth Gap
- Trump's Proposed Tax Reform
- On The Warpath with North Korea?
- DACA: Who Are America's 'Dreamers'?
- Policing and Public Relations
- America's Cleanest Cities
- Immigrant Population at Record Highs
- States Benefiting Most From NAFTA
- America's Standing in the World
- American News Credibility Poll
- Military Spending on the Rise Again
- America's Best Large Employers
- Putin's Russia in Biggest Arctic Military Push Since Soviet Fall
- Could America Run Out of Dogs?
- Instability, Quagmire, & Peace
- The Fastest Disappearing Jobs
- The Dangers of Big Philanthropy
- The Pentagon's $125-Billion Cover-up
- Local Courts in the United States
- Americans Think Fake News Has an Impact
- The Year of 'Post-Truth'
- Only 5 Countries Have A Bigger GDP Than California
- Where It's Legal To Smoke Marijuana
- Drugs Killing More Americans Than Road Crashes
- America's Craft Beer Capitals
- Why Our Kids Are Coming in Last Place
- Black Youth and Elusive Freedom
- Hidden Victims of Terrorism: Muslim Women in America
- Fighting Racism Where White Workers Are Hurting, Too
United States: "Police Budgets In Key U.S. Cities "