Small Men with Ugly Thoughts, Expressed Aloud
by Carl Hiaasen
Lonesome Racist of the Week:
He's not as wealthy or prominent as
Until last week he served as one of three elected police commissioners in
Copeland didn't deny making the slur, and brilliantly sent the following email to the other commissioners: "I believe I did use the 'N' word in reference to the current occupant of the Whitehouse (sic). For this I do not apologize -- he meets and exceeds my criteria for such."
Many people in
Copeland sat there listening to all the outraged demands for his resignation, and never said a word.
The governor of
After a few days Copeland gave up and quit. He's now free to shamble around the house in his bathrobe and boxers, spewing the N-word as much as he wants.
He has little in common with Sterling besides hateful prejudice and advanced age (the
They point to
Bundy has claimed native rights to the lands, saying he doesn't recognize the existence of the U.S. government. For "standing up" to the feds (and stiffing American taxpayers for more than
If at that point he'd shut his mouth, Bundy would still be a media darling of the bug-eyed right. But while chatting with a
He mused that black people might be "better off as slaves" rather than living "under government subsidy."
Whoops. Here we go again.
Instantly Bundy became politically toxic. His cheering section at Fox fell silent, while Sen. Paul, who has presidential ambitions, declared he didn't agree with Bundy's view on slavery and even unholstered the O-word ("offensive").
Like Sterling, Bundy's attempts to clarify his feelings about black Americans only made things worse.
"Are they slaves to charities and government subsidized homes?" he said two days later. "And are they slaves when their daughters are having abortions and their sons are in prisons? This thought goes back a long time."
On CNN Bundy labored to stem the backlash with an incoherent reference to
That's comforting to know, but at this point Bundy's trespassing cows are his biggest audience.
He, Copeland and Sterling have blabbed themselves into caricatures. It's not that they're harmless (Sterling's discriminatory practices as a landlord were punitive to many black families), but all the repudiation and ridicule has reduced them to their proper size.
They are just small men with small ugly thoughts, and every so often it's useful to be reminded that they're still out there.
Lots of 'em.
Angry residents in Wolfeboro, New Hampshire, called for a police commissioner to resign after he admitted using a racial slur to describe the president
Available at Amazon.com:
- Tightening Whose Belt?
- Three Felonies a Day
- Reviving the North Korea-Iran Axis?
- The Pentagon Makes War on Alaska's Pristine Wilderness
- There's Still Time to Prosecute the Torturers
- The American Way of War in the 21st Century
- After Baltimore, a Call to Reclaim Mother's Day
- Venture Capitalists Rule the World
- The Weakening Foundations of Western Power
- Cuba's Coming Out Party
- Authoritarian Symps
- Celebrating Wars & Destruction
- Boston Marathon Bombing Trial: Search for Justice and Closure
- Yes, Black America Fears the Police
- New Boston Bombing Video
- Obama's Last National Security Strategy
- What We Lose with a Privatized Postal Service
- Wal-Mart Does Something Right
- Guantanamo Bay's Place in U.S. Strategy
- The Intersection of Three Crises
- Taking on 'Mayor 1 Percent'
- Obama Honors Chicago's Pullman District
- Chicago Police Testing Body Cameras
- Judge Says Chicago Cubs Can Keep Building Wrigley Signs
- Illinois Last, Best Chance?
- Bald Eagles Nesting in New York for First Time in 100 Years
- NYC's 911 System Overhaul $700M Over Budget
- Chicago Police Testing Body Cameras
- Obama Corrects a Historic Mistake on Cuba
- Why Obama and Congress Should Go Further With Cuba
- U.S. Cuban Relations Reimagined
- China and The United States
- Tensions in the Arctic
- Ebola and Moral Panic
- What West Africa Can Teach the U.S. About Ebola
- Everything Wrong with Obama's War on ISIS
- Maya Angelou was Deeper than a Pithy Quote
- Give Killers Coverage, Not A Soapbox
- Our Culture Behind Wisconsin Girls' Stabbing Case
- Are Hispanics in Danger of Becoming White?
- Obama Outlines the Limits of Foreign Intervention
- Just Don't Call It 'Reparations'
- Small Men with Ugly Thoughts, Expressed Aloud
- It's Time to Show Our Veterans Some Love
- Justice for All, Except Those Too Big to Jail
- On the 9/11 Memorial and Museum
- Policing Thought Crime
- Turmoil and Intimations of Gender Bias at The Gray Lady
- Jayson Blair and All The Lies Not Fit to Print
- Mental Illness and Guns have Created a National Epidemic
- Army of One
- Mass Killers Hold Culture and Country Hostage
- Florida Governor Takes Deep Dive into Climate Change
- Charlie Christ Flip-Flop is a Bad Idea
- Botched Execution Should Be Death Knell of Capital Punishment
- Cruel and Unusual Ways of Execution
- Bring Back Firing Squads? We Do Worse
- Clayton Lockett: A Just Execution, Regardless
- Supreme Court Rules 5-4 on Public Prayer
- Supreme Court Rules on Public Prayer -- But Should It?
- John Kerry Warns of Excessive Isolationism
- Obama's Foreign Policy Nonexistent
- On Race: Meet Dumb and Dumberer
- Believers in U.S. Decline Will Be Disappointed
- A Nation Divided with Liberty and Justice for Some
- Can Ethnic Hate Be a Mental Illness?
- Pulitzer Committee Makes Stand for Free Press, Accountable Government
- NRA Members Need To Step Up on Ending Gun Violence
- Military Chief's Plea: Put Returning Soldiers to Work
- Home from War, Our Soldiers Continue to Die
- Better Gun Laws Needed to Protect Mentally Ill and Rest of Us
- Guns: Monsters in Our Midst
Article: Copyright © 2014, Tribune Content Agency
"Small Men with Ugly Thoughts, Expressed Aloud "