The County With the Highest Obesity Rate in Every State
by Sabrina Perry
Using data from the Health Indicators Warehouse, the experts at HealthGrove found the county in every state with the highest obesity rate.
That's a lot of sick people.
Whether you agree with the AMA's decision or not, it underscores the gravity of the condition. The World Health Organization even considers it a global epidemic.
Worldwide, the relationship between wealth and obesity follows a positive trend: as wealth goes up, so too does obesity, according to Dr. James A. Levine of the Mayo Clinic.
In keeping with this trend, the United States is the wealthiest country in the world, and one of the most obese, at no. 18 out of 230 in obesity.
Within the United States, however, this relationship flips. Counties with lower average incomes tend to see higher rates of obesity. Though this obesity-income relationship seems quite paradoxical, explanations for it exist.
Lack of access to nutritious food and outdoor space for exercise are two of the more popular theories.
Some point to the geographic scarcity of grocery stores in many poor areas as a primary cause of the malnutrition, but this reasoning has recently come into question. A study done by researchers at the University of Pennsylvania, Princeton, and the U.S. Department of Agriculture found that differences in proximity of grocery stores explained less than 10 percent of the variation in healthy food consumption and that when new supermarkets opened, they had little effect on what nearby residents ate.
Though geographic accessibility of healthy food plays some (small) part in obesity, evidence suggests that household income is a more important factor. On a national level, the data shows that areas of high obesity rates tend to map similarly with areas of lower income.
Compounding the problem of accessibility is the fact that, as Dr. Levine pointed out in his paper, people in low-income counties also tend to exercise less. This may happen due to a variety of reasons. Most obviously, people with less money have a harder time affording athletic equipment, gym memberships and the like. Additionally, studies have found that violence increases when poverty does, which could potentially affect obesity by deterring people from exercising outside.
This in mind, the experts at HealthGrove, a health data analysis and visualization site part of the Graphiq network, looked at data from the Health Indicators Warehouse to find the county with the highest obesity rate in every state.
- The Dangers of Big Philanthropy
- The Pentagon's $125-Billion Cover-up
- Local Courts in the United States
- Americans Think Fake News Has an Impact
- The Year of 'Post-Truth'
- American Cities With the Highest Murder Rates
- Only 5 Countries Have A Bigger GDP Than California
- Where It's Legal To Smoke Marijuana
- Drugs Killing More Americans Than Road Crashes
- America's Craft Beer Capitals
- Calling Working People of All Colors
- Pacifism, Just War and Civil Liberties in a Multicultural Age
- Why Our Kids Are Coming in Last Place
- Black Youth and Elusive Freedom
- Hidden Victims of Terrorism: Muslim Women in America
- Fighting Racism Where White Workers Are Hurting, Too
- Americans' Support For Legalizing Marijuana Reaches All-Time High
- Walling Them Out, or Walling Us In?
- Where America is Most Racially Diverse
- Zika Virus in the United States
- Counties With the Highest Obesity Rate
- Most Expensive Metro Areas to Live In
- Cities Where Coffee Costs the Most
- Cost of the Emergency Room
- FBI Overwhelmed by Terror Suspects
- States Most Concerned With Mosquitoes
- Orlando and the Future of Terrorism
- The Only Sane Conclusion from Orlando
- Orlando Shooting Fuels Debate on Gun Control
- Counties That Have Suffered the Deadliest Floods
- Which States Have Banned Assault Weapons?
- Orlando: Plenty of Blame to Spread Around
- They're Killing Us. Help Us Stop Them
- Our Poverty Myth
- The Pentagon Plans for War on Many Fronts
- U.S. Immigration Policies Are Ridiculous
- Stanford Rape Case Stands Out From Most Sexual Assaults
- The Civil War Didn't End Slavery After All
- As if PTSD, CTE, and Moral Injury Weren't Enough
- Jihad an Equal Opportunity Employer
- What if the U.S. Dismantled China's Internet Firewall?
- States With the Safest Drivers
- States With the Most Dangerous Drivers
- Counties Where Medicare Spends the Most per Patient
- Locations with the Highest Gas Prices
- The Government Agencies that Employ the Most People
- Why are 29 Million People Still Uninsured?
- The Increasingly 'High' Prevalence of Marijuana
- The Cost of Child Care in Every State
- Cost of Car Insurance In Every State
- Fear, Anger and Attitudes Toward Immigration
- Wealthy Americans Don't Need Panama to Hide Their Wealth
- States with the Highest Unemployment Rates
- 26 Facts About Guantanamo Bay
- Highest Cost Per Prisoner States
- These States Have the Most Prison Deaths
- The Death Gap
- The Richest Banks
- American Cities Most at Risk of Zika Virus
- Cities With the Highest Rent
- Cities With the Greenest Commutes
- Most Racism Is Mundane
- Imprisoned by Debt
"The County With the Highest Obesity Rate in Every State "