The County With the Highest Obesity Rate in Every State
by Sabrina Perry
Using data from the Health Indicators Warehouse, the experts at HealthGrove found the county in every state with the highest obesity rate.
That's a lot of sick people.
Whether you agree with the AMA's decision or not, it underscores the gravity of the condition. The World Health Organization even considers it a global epidemic.
Worldwide, the relationship between wealth and obesity follows a positive trend: as wealth goes up, so too does obesity, according to Dr. James A. Levine of the Mayo Clinic.
In keeping with this trend, the United States is the wealthiest country in the world, and one of the most obese, at no. 18 out of 230 in obesity.
Within the United States, however, this relationship flips. Counties with lower average incomes tend to see higher rates of obesity. Though this obesity-income relationship seems quite paradoxical, explanations for it exist.
Lack of access to nutritious food and outdoor space for exercise are two of the more popular theories.
Some point to the geographic scarcity of grocery stores in many poor areas as a primary cause of the malnutrition, but this reasoning has recently come into question. A study done by researchers at the University of Pennsylvania, Princeton, and the U.S. Department of Agriculture found that differences in proximity of grocery stores explained less than 10 percent of the variation in healthy food consumption and that when new supermarkets opened, they had little effect on what nearby residents ate.
Though geographic accessibility of healthy food plays some (small) part in obesity, evidence suggests that household income is a more important factor. On a national level, the data shows that areas of high obesity rates tend to map similarly with areas of lower income.
Compounding the problem of accessibility is the fact that, as Dr. Levine pointed out in his paper, people in low-income counties also tend to exercise less. This may happen due to a variety of reasons. Most obviously, people with less money have a harder time affording athletic equipment, gym memberships and the like. Additionally, studies have found that violence increases when poverty does, which could potentially affect obesity by deterring people from exercising outside.
This in mind, the experts at HealthGrove, a health data analysis and visualization site part of the Graphiq network, looked at data from the Health Indicators Warehouse to find the county with the highest obesity rate in every state.
- A United States - Russia Oil Showdown?
- Time to Speak Up Ladies
- Is America's National Security Strategy Better?
- The Real Spirit of Giving
- The Thucydides Trap: A Distorted Compass
- US and British Foreign Policy from One Regime Change to Another
- Trump's Looming Hard Line on China
- Firearms Background Checks Are Surging
- America's Most Dangerous Cities For Cyclists
- What America Is Snacking On
- Is Life Better Or Worse Than 50 Years Ago?
- Jobs Under Threat From Automation
- Christmas in America
- Americans Top Fears
- Police Budgets In Key U.S. Cities
- Police Deaths Spiked Last Year
- Mass Shootings in America
- Worst Mass Shootings in America
- Guns: The Armed States of America
- America's Racial Wealth Gap
- Trump's Proposed Tax Reform
- On The Warpath with North Korea?
- DACA: Who Are America's 'Dreamers'?
- Policing and Public Relations
- America's Cleanest Cities
- Immigrant Population at Record Highs
- States Benefiting Most From NAFTA
- America's Standing in the World
- American News Credibility Poll
- Military Spending on the Rise Again
- America's Best Large Employers
- Putin's Russia in Biggest Arctic Military Push Since Soviet Fall
- Could America Run Out of Dogs?
- Instability, Quagmire, & Peace
- The Fastest Disappearing Jobs
- The Dangers of Big Philanthropy
- The Pentagon's $125-Billion Cover-up
- Local Courts in the United States
- Americans Think Fake News Has an Impact
- The Year of 'Post-Truth'
- Only 5 Countries Have A Bigger GDP Than California
- Where It's Legal To Smoke Marijuana
- Drugs Killing More Americans Than Road Crashes
- America's Craft Beer Capitals
- Why Our Kids Are Coming in Last Place
- Black Youth and Elusive Freedom
- Hidden Victims of Terrorism: Muslim Women in America
- Fighting Racism Where White Workers Are Hurting, Too
United States: "The County With the Highest Obesity Rate in Every State"