The States Benefiting the Most From NAFTA
by Martin Armstrong (Statista)
This chart shows the U.S. states with the most jobs supported by trade with Canada/Mexico attributable to NAFTA.
With the future of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) still hanging in the balance as negotiations between Canada, Mexico and the United States reached an apparent impasse recently, a number of high-profile figures, bodies and industries have been voicing their support for the agreement, and their concern should it ultimately be thrown out.
President Trump has been an outspoken opponent of NAFTA, once branding it "the worst trade deal maybe ever signed anywhere, but certainly ever signed in this country". While the president's negotiators are clearly going to be pressing hard for better conditions for the United States, the current deal hasn't exactly been terrible for American jobs since its 1994 inception.
As figures from the U.S. Chamber of Commerce show, there are an estimated total of almost 5 million jobs in the country which are supported by trade with Canada and Mexico attributable to NAFTA. The states benefiting the most are California, Texas and New York.
- A United States - Russia Oil Showdown?
- Time to Speak Up Ladies
- Is America's National Security Strategy Better?
- The Real Spirit of Giving
- The Thucydides Trap: A Distorted Compass
- US and British Foreign Policy from One Regime Change to Another
- Trump's Looming Hard Line on China
- Firearms Background Checks Are Surging
- America's Most Dangerous Cities For Cyclists
- What America Is Snacking On
- Is Life Better Or Worse Than 50 Years Ago?
- Jobs Under Threat From Automation
- Christmas in America
- Americans Top Fears
- Police Budgets In Key U.S. Cities
- Police Deaths Spiked Last Year
- Mass Shootings in America
- Worst Mass Shootings in America
- Guns: The Armed States of America
- America's Racial Wealth Gap
- Trump's Proposed Tax Reform
- On The Warpath with North Korea?
- DACA: Who Are America's 'Dreamers'?
- Policing and Public Relations
- America's Cleanest Cities
- Immigrant Population at Record Highs
- States Benefiting Most From NAFTA
- America's Standing in the World
- American News Credibility Poll
- Military Spending on the Rise Again
- America's Best Large Employers
- Putin's Russia in Biggest Arctic Military Push Since Soviet Fall
- Could America Run Out of Dogs?
- Instability, Quagmire, & Peace
- The Fastest Disappearing Jobs
- The Dangers of Big Philanthropy
- The Pentagon's $125-Billion Cover-up
- Local Courts in the United States
- Americans Think Fake News Has an Impact
- The Year of 'Post-Truth'
- Only 5 Countries Have A Bigger GDP Than California
- Where It's Legal To Smoke Marijuana
- Drugs Killing More Americans Than Road Crashes
- America's Craft Beer Capitals
- Why Our Kids Are Coming in Last Place
- Black Youth and Elusive Freedom
- Hidden Victims of Terrorism: Muslim Women in America
- Fighting Racism Where White Workers Are Hurting, Too
United States: "The States Benefiting the Most From NAFTA "