Trump's Proposed Tax Reform
by Dyfed Loesche (Statista)
How Trump's Proposed Tax Reform Could Affect Income Tax
After failing to make much headway on reforming the health care system, President Donald Trump has officially opened the second big front on his policy agenda: tax reform. His administration released a broad outline to make major changes to the tax code on Wednesday.
Individual income tax makes up around 49 percent of the Unites States tax revenue, the single biggest position, according to inside.gov. Trump wants to simplify the tax code by bringing the number of income tax rates from now seven down to three (35, 25, 12 percent). The plan didn't name specific income thresholds, but the New York Times consulted plans by the House Republicans from 2016 to see how the new brackets could shape up.
Some observers have argued that Trump's tax plan would one-sidedly profit the rich. Indeed, bringing down the tax ceiling from almost 40 to 35 percent would profit the biggest earners. In the lower middle income bracket ($37,950 to $91,900) there wouldn't be any movement (25 percent). This contradicts Trump's assertion that he would aim for tax cuts for the middle class. Finally, lowest income bracket taxes would hike 2 percentage points.
- A United States - Russia Oil Showdown?
- Time to Speak Up Ladies
- Is America's National Security Strategy Better?
- The Real Spirit of Giving
- The Thucydides Trap: A Distorted Compass
- US and British Foreign Policy from One Regime Change to Another
- Trump's Looming Hard Line on China
- Firearms Background Checks Are Surging
- America's Most Dangerous Cities For Cyclists
- What America Is Snacking On
- Is Life Better Or Worse Than 50 Years Ago?
- Jobs Under Threat From Automation
- Christmas in America
- Americans Top Fears
- Police Budgets In Key U.S. Cities
- Police Deaths Spiked Last Year
- Mass Shootings in America
- Worst Mass Shootings in America
- Guns: The Armed States of America
- America's Racial Wealth Gap
- Trump's Proposed Tax Reform
- On The Warpath with North Korea?
- DACA: Who Are America's 'Dreamers'?
- Policing and Public Relations
- America's Cleanest Cities
- Immigrant Population at Record Highs
- States Benefiting Most From NAFTA
- America's Standing in the World
- American News Credibility Poll
- Military Spending on the Rise Again
- America's Best Large Employers
- Putin's Russia in Biggest Arctic Military Push Since Soviet Fall
- Could America Run Out of Dogs?
- Instability, Quagmire, & Peace
- The Fastest Disappearing Jobs
- The Dangers of Big Philanthropy
- The Pentagon's $125-Billion Cover-up
- Local Courts in the United States
- Americans Think Fake News Has an Impact
- The Year of 'Post-Truth'
- Only 5 Countries Have A Bigger GDP Than California
- Where It's Legal To Smoke Marijuana
- Drugs Killing More Americans Than Road Crashes
- America's Craft Beer Capitals
- Why Our Kids Are Coming in Last Place
- Black Youth and Elusive Freedom
- Hidden Victims of Terrorism: Muslim Women in America
- Fighting Racism Where White Workers Are Hurting, Too
United States: "Trump's Proposed Tax Reform "