Woman to Woman: 15 Things That'll Make You Smile Instantly
By Sharon Boone
If long workdays and a lack of time for yourself have you feeling down, try one -- or more! -- of these quick ways to immediately boost your mood and make you smile.
1. Get a foot massage
Targeting the reflexology points on the foot stimulates the release of endorphins -- feel-good hormones that can produce a feeling of euphoria. Unfortunately, getting frequent massages involves dropping a dozen not-too-subtle “Boy, do my feet hurt” hints to your significant other -- and a grudging foot massage won’t exactly have you breaking into a satisfied grin. Instead, head to the nearest nail salon. That minute-long foot and calf massage that comes in between the pumice and the polish is pure bliss.
2. Change your ringtone
To the sound of your niece laughing, or get your boyfriend to record the punch line to your favorite inside joke to signal a call.
3. Do something new
Take a different way home, reverse the route for your run, turn a cartwheel or do some inverted yoga poses. Viewing the world from a different angle can help you see the funny side of life.
4. Smell sweets
Certain aromas can instantly transport us to happier times. The scent of freshly-baked apple pie wafting from a bakery evokes your grandmother’s kitchen. That hit of fruitier-than-nature-intended strawberry, cherry and sugar from bubble gum can take you back to fun times in grade school -- when smiles were plentiful, life was simpler and only your mom worried about your cavities.
5. Tune Pandora
or your radio to some salsa or dance music, even for just a few minutes.
6. Play with a dog
Studies show that spending time with animals is an instant mood lifter. Don’t have a dog? Log on to an Internet puppy cam, such as the Southeastern Guide Dog website.
7. Skip the status update
Instead of tweeting your memories, set a date to see your pals. Studies show that actual human interaction can not only improve your mood, but also your health.
8. Write a fan letter
Make like a teen and gush about your love for someone. (You don’t have to declare yourself Team Edward or Jacob.) Sending a note to your favorite author, the chef at your go-to restaurant -- even if that’s the corner pizzeria -- will make someone’s day, and yours too.
9. Love yourself
While you’re sharing your accolades, give some to yourself. Blow yourself a kiss in the mirror just before you leave the house in the morning. Or practice repeating a self-positive mantra any time you need a little boost.
10. Go fly a kite -- literally.
Dutch researchers found that making upwards movements, such as reaching towards the sky, produced positive memories and resulted in an improved mood. And a slew of studies have shown that just being in nature can boost your happiness factor.
11. Leave a (slightly) risque message
on your partner’s cell phone. The naughty grin you’ll have as you leave it will only be matched by his beaming with excitement as he listens to it later.
12. Do a whole lot of nothing
Sometimes doing nothing is all you need to feel like you’re experiencing a little indulgence. Take a sick day and go to the cinema, or spend an entire Sunday lounging around in cozy pajamas and slippers.
13. Pay it forward.
Instead of silently grumbling about the brusque barista or rolling your eyes in exasperation at your grumpy cubicle-mate, find something good to say and pay them a compliment. The more befuddled they look as they try to work out why you’re being so nice, the bigger your smile will become.
14. Set your DVR
to record a few episodes of your favorite old-school cartoons to cheer yourself up.
Often, faking it until you make it actually works.
- The Long Road to Gender Equality
- What Does Being an American Latina Mean?
- Get Lost in a Good Book: Spring / Summer Reading List
- 5 Mother's Day Gifts That'll Instantly Make You Mom's Favorite
- Creative Mother's Day Gift Ideas for the Seriously Simple Cook
- Get the Mother's Day You Deserve
- Are You Turning into Your Mother?
- The Secret to Feeling Amazing
- Can the Law of Attraction Change Your Life?
- The No-Crash Bikini Body Diet
- Embrace Procrastination -- and Thrive on It
- How to Make New Habits Stick
- Overcome Your Fears by Facing Them
- Reclaim Your Body After Baby!
- How New Moms Can Balance Life and Love After Baby
- 5 Ways New Moms Can Get Sleep
- Why You Need to Let Loose (Now!)
- Finding Hidden Moments for Me-time
- What is 'Having It All,' Anyway?
- Recharging Your Batteries
- 15 Things That'll Make You Smile Instantly
- Know When It's Time to Quit
- Guilty of Not Feeling Guilty
- Boost Your Confidence: Stories From Real Women
- 5 Secrets of Success That Celebrities Live By
- The 10 Worst Mother's Day Gifts Ever
- Are You Your Own Worst Enemy?
- Love Your Imperfections!
- Top 10 Ways to Stick to Your Resolutions
- Ways to Act Confident: Even if You Are Not
- Creating Your Own Journey of Discovery
- Gift Ideas From the Garden
Woman to Woman: "15 Things That'll Make You Smile Instantly"