Woman to Woman: The ABCs (and D's!) of the Bra
By Catherine Ryan
When it comes to getting a bra, it’s so important to have the perfect fit. We want to keep you, er, abreast of what to look for when bra buying.
Wondering if you even need a bra at all? It’s a personal decision, but maybe your breasts are beginning to bud, and you’re thinking of trying your first bra. It nicely covers nipples, if nothing else. Even if you already wear a bra, you might be bopping around in the wrong size.
Not an 8-ounce Cup!
So, what’s your bra size? Here’s the formula:
1. Use a measuring tape to determine the number of inches around your chest, just below your breasts. Add 5 inches if it is an odd number; add 4 inches if it is an even number. This is your bra measurement.
2. For cup size, move the tape up to measure your chest around the fullest part of your breasts.
If the two numbers are the same, you need an AA cup.
If the two numbers differ by 1 inch, you need an A cup.
If the two numbers differ by 2 inches, you need a B cup.
If the two numbers differ by 3 inches, you need a C cup.
If the two numbers differ by 4 inches, you need a D cup.
If the two numbers differ by 5 inches, you need a DD cup.
So, pretend your first measurement, below your breasts, is 28 inches. Adding 4 inches makes 32. Say your second measurement, across your breasts, is 34 inches. The difference between the two numbers (in this case, 32 and 34) is 2 inches, so you’d need a B cup. Your bra size would be 32B.
The Ultimate Breast Test
Spend time in the dressing room trying on a variety of bras. Once you find one you like, jump around in front of the mirror, then lean forward. Boobs still secure? Good. Now see how it looks under your shirt. No weird bulges or traces of lace? Remember to adjust the straps and the hooks on the back to get the best fit. Not so bad, eh?
- The Long Road to Gender Equality
- How to Be a Master Multitasker
- How to Beat a Bad Mood
- How to Bounce Back Fast From a Mistake
- Calling Miss Manners
- The ABCs (and D's!) of the Bra
- Can You Afford to Be a Stay-at-Home Mom?
- Eat Smart for Healthy Hair
- Behind the Mompreneur Myth
- Challenges & Rewards of Part-Time Work
- Creative Ways to Combine Work & Family
- Stay-at-Home Moms Need a Career Plan
- Finding Hidden Moments for Me-time
- Finding the 'Me' in Motherhood
- How TV Distorts Your Body Image
- How to Comfort a Friend in Need
- Put Your Best Feet Forward
- Reinventing Yourself
- Secrets to Sneaking in More Sleep
- How to Stay Positive in Stressful Times
- The New Girlfriend Getaway
- The Self-Esteem Makeover
- It's Time to Stop Judging Yourself
- Ways to Get What You Want
- Youthful Skin Forever
- Woman's Place Is at the Pentagon
- Feel Happier: Just Change Your Shirt
- We've Come a Long Way in Wrong Direction
- How Jealous Friends Sabotage Your Health
- How to Have More Energy
- Inspiring Stories to Make You Smile
- Instant Confidence Boosters
- How to Spring-Clean Your Life
- Surprising Benefits of Pumpkin
- Top 7 Ways to Start Your Day
- A Woman's Dilemma: To Dye Or Not To Dye?
- Life & Work Lessons Every Woman Should Learn
- You'll Be Happy to Know You'll Get Happier Every Day
Woman to Woman: "The ABCs (and D's!) of the Bra"