Woman to Woman: The Self-Esteem Makeover
By Melanie Haiken
Karate chop! It’s time to whip your self-confidence into shape. Hasn’t anyone told you that you can learn to be fabulous?
It’s not about your looks -- it’s your thinking.
Your happiness, appearance and relationships all hinge on how you perceive -- and present -- yourself.
Tell Your Inner Nag to Shut It!
Stop hating on yourself, would ya? Everyone from the Dalai Lama to Oprah talks about how our thoughts transfer to our experiences. Thinking you’re fat or dumb or not good enough for some guy is the reality as long as you’re believing it.
When you catch yourself listening to negative self-talk, stop. Picture something you adore about your life, your looks or your little quirks. Like the cool bond you have with your sis or how that blue dress looks so much better on you than it does on the hanger. Smile. Hold that grin.
Believe in Your Own Greatness
Maybe you feel other girls are so much smarter, prettier, cooler.…Well, we can’t argue with the fact that there are a lot of great gals out there. But guess what: You’re one of ‘em!
Being your total self is about rolling all the best parts of you into one impressive presentation. Instead of wishing you were a clone of someone else, take a look at everyone around you. Realize that you have just as many good qualities as the girl sitting next to you. It’s just that each of you has a unique blueprint. Rock yours!
Give Ugly the Day off
Everyone has that friend who obsesses over her looks. She can’t pass a store window without stopping to adjust her shirt, inspect her lips, tuck a hair. She picks, picks, picks until she scoffs: “I look horrible!” Meanwhile, she’s cute as can be. Um, pardon, is that friend…you?
Do a single glance in the a.m., then totally avoid mirrors and windows (shiny spoons? dang, vain!). Break free of the focus on your physical appearance so you can look within. Are you getting good grades, feeling fit and hanging with the right people? No mirrors! To pump up your self-esteem, it’s time for inner reflection.
- The Long Road to Gender Equality
- How to Be a Master Multitasker
- How to Beat a Bad Mood
- How to Bounce Back Fast From a Mistake
- Calling Miss Manners
- The ABCs (and D's!) of the Bra
- Can You Afford to Be a Stay-at-Home Mom?
- Eat Smart for Healthy Hair
- Behind the Mompreneur Myth
- Challenges & Rewards of Part-Time Work
- Creative Ways to Combine Work & Family
- Stay-at-Home Moms Need a Career Plan
- Finding Hidden Moments for Me-time
- Finding the 'Me' in Motherhood
- How TV Distorts Your Body Image
- How to Comfort a Friend in Need
- Put Your Best Feet Forward
- Reinventing Yourself
- Secrets to Sneaking in More Sleep
- How to Stay Positive in Stressful Times
- The New Girlfriend Getaway
- The Self-Esteem Makeover
- It's Time to Stop Judging Yourself
- Ways to Get What You Want
- Youthful Skin Forever
- Woman's Place Is at the Pentagon
- Feel Happier: Just Change Your Shirt
- We've Come a Long Way in Wrong Direction
- How Jealous Friends Sabotage Your Health
- How to Have More Energy
- Inspiring Stories to Make You Smile
- Instant Confidence Boosters
- How to Spring-Clean Your Life
- Surprising Benefits of Pumpkin
- Top 7 Ways to Start Your Day
- A Woman's Dilemma: To Dye Or Not To Dye?
- Life & Work Lessons Every Woman Should Learn
- You'll Be Happy to Know You'll Get Happier Every Day
Woman to Woman: "The Self-Esteem Makeover"