Are You Turning into Your Mother?
by Danyelle Little
Tell-tale signs you're becoming more like your own mom than you ever dreamed you would
Last week while talking to my daughter for the umpteenth time about the importance of cleaning up her room, I felt a bit of familiarity that was too close to home.
I began to have that dramatic shrill that my mom used to have when she chastised me about something. My hand was placed firmly on my hip and my finger was moving to-and-fro as if I was painting in the air, and I had to pause. These are the same exact things my mom used to do when she chewed me out.
I'm turning into my mother!
I promised myself when I was younger that I wouldn't be the mom my mother was. Not that my mom wasn't a great mom -- she was. I guess I just was determined to do things differently. Like the time she made me sit at the table for three hours because I refused to eat the microwave cheeseburger she made me for dinner. I totally thought to myself then that if my children didn't want to eat their food, I would make them something else, because they have to eat something!
Now, I have never starved my daughter or made her sit at the table until she ate everything on her plate, but I have inherited some of my mother's nuances. I've developed her repeated rambling, her finger-pointing hand gestures, her whiny scolding voice and her neck twist. My mother could twist her neck like no one's business, and I have it down pat as well.
My mother also had the tendency to snap her fingers a lot to physically illustrate her point. Just the other day, when I was talking to my daughter about our summer plans, I found myself snapping my fingers just like my mom did when she was getting frustrated. I instantly stopped myself because I know how annoying that could be.
So yes, I have a confession. I think I am turning into my mother, and I don't like it one bit.
I am not sure if there's anything I can do about it at this point, but I am willing to certainly try. Then again, maybe our turning into our mothers is a way of life showing us that our mothers weren't all that bad after all.
- What Does Being an American Latina Mean?
- Get Lost in a Good Book: Spring / Summer Reading List
- 5 Mother's Day Gifts That'll Instantly Make You Mom's Favorite
- Creative Mother's Day Gift Ideas for the Seriously Simple Cook
- Get the Mother's Day You Deserve
- Are You Turning into Your Mother?
- The Secret to Feeling Amazing
- Can the Law of Attraction Change Your Life?
- The No-Crash Bikini Body Diet
- Embrace Procrastination -- and Thrive on It
- How to Make New Habits Stick
- Overcome Your Fears by Facing Them
- Reclaim Your Body After Baby!
- How New Moms Can Balance Life and Love After Baby
- 5 Ways New Moms Can Get Sleep
- Why You Need to Let Loose (Now!)
- Finding Hidden Moments for Me-time
- Best iPhone Apps for Moms
- What is 'Having It All,' Anyway?
- Recharging Your Batteries
- 15 Things That'll Make You Smile -- Instantly
Article: Copyright © 2017, Studio One Networks. All rights reserved.
Woman to Woman: "Are You Turning into Your Mother?"