Woman to Woman: 5 Secrets of Success That Celebrities Live By
By Hamish Carpenter
Yes, stars look great. Yes, they're charming. And yes, they have talent. But it takes a lot more than that to have a successful career and life in Hollywood. Our experts evaluate five famous faces and the secrets of success they applied to achieve their goals.
Success Secret No. 1: Celebrities have a dream
Beyonce had always wanted to be a performer. That dream has governed her life, from helping her form her first group at just 9 years old to releasing her first solo album in 2003. "Successful people are driven, which allows them to make a total commitment to their dreams," says Marc Fenton, a life coach at Empire Life Coaching in New York City.
Fortunately, there's no expiration date on aspirations, so you can follow yours no matter what your age. But you do need to set a specific goal and plot out the steps you need to take to achieve success. If you're having trouble sticking to the plan, try networking -- both online and in person. A mentor can give you advice, guidance and feedback.
Success Secret No. 2: Celebrities work hard
Despite their glamorous lifestyles, celebrities actually toil at their craft a lot. "Many of them have workaholic tendencies," says Andrea Syrtash, a life coach and advice columnist in New York City. Television stars like Courteney Cox often put in 18-hour days shooting. "But even pretty faces can't just show up," says Fenton. You have to be driven and willing to work hard to do whatever it takes to achieve your goals, he says. If you love what you're doing, as most celebrities do, it won't really seem like work and therefore it will be easier to invest the time and find success.
Success Secret No. 3: Celebrities create their own opportunities
Smart people pounce on opportunity, even if it's not a traditional path to success, says Fenton. Elisabeth Hasselbeck wasn't experienced in broadcast journalism but managed to land a chair on "The View" after a stint on "Survivor." Bethenny Frankel parlayed her role on "The Real Housewives of New York City" into best-selling books and a line of premixed cocktails, as well as her own series, "Bethenny Ever After"
We can learn from these examples. "Two women in Vermont made simple brownies that are a global sensation," says Fenton. Shawna Lidsky and Katherine Hayward, co-founders of Vermont Brownie Co., may never have had a chance to be pastry chefs at a four-star restaurant (a more typical aspiration), but they found a way to create their own success.
Success Secret No. 4: Celebrities make their health a priority
Sure, the main reason celebrities like Gwyneth Paltrow eat their veggies and hit the gym is so they look great on the big screen or the red carpet. But Paltrow also knows that eating well, getting enough sleep and exercising help her stay healthy overall, a quest she chronicles on her website, Goop.com. "Like all mothers, Paltrow has a lot of juggling to do," says Syrtash. "But eating well, sleeping well and exercising contributes to your mental health and helps you have the physical and emotional stamina to keep going."
Success Secret No. 5: Celebrities build support systems
To find strength and confidence, it's important to have someone in your life who makes you feel like your best self, not who you look good with. Julia Roberts, like many stars, dated a string of celebrities but only found lasting love when she started dating an unknown cameraman, Danny Moder. "She has said in interviews that they have great communication and that they're growing together," observes Syrtash, who has also written He's Just Not Your Type. In contrast, some women date men who have big personalities. These men like attention, they're flirtatious, but they may not be focused on the woman's needs.
- The Long Road to Gender Equality
- What Does Being an American Latina Mean?
- Get Lost in a Good Book: Spring / Summer Reading List
- 5 Mother's Day Gifts That'll Instantly Make You Mom's Favorite
- Creative Mother's Day Gift Ideas for the Seriously Simple Cook
- Get the Mother's Day You Deserve
- Are You Turning into Your Mother?
- The Secret to Feeling Amazing
- Can the Law of Attraction Change Your Life?
- The No-Crash Bikini Body Diet
- Embrace Procrastination -- and Thrive on It
- How to Make New Habits Stick
- Overcome Your Fears by Facing Them
- Reclaim Your Body After Baby!
- How New Moms Can Balance Life and Love After Baby
- 5 Ways New Moms Can Get Sleep
- Why You Need to Let Loose (Now!)
- Finding Hidden Moments for Me-time
- What is 'Having It All,' Anyway?
- Recharging Your Batteries
- 15 Things That'll Make You Smile Instantly
- Know When It's Time to Quit
- Guilty of Not Feeling Guilty
- Boost Your Confidence: Stories From Real Women
- 5 Secrets of Success That Celebrities Live By
- The 10 Worst Mother's Day Gifts Ever
- Are You Your Own Worst Enemy?
- Love Your Imperfections!
- Top 10 Ways to Stick to Your Resolutions
- Ways to Act Confident: Even if You Are Not
- Creating Your Own Journey of Discovery
- Gift Ideas From the Garden
Woman to Woman: "5 Secrets of Success That Celebrities Live By"