Woman to Woman: Feel Happier: Just Change Your Shirt
By Leatrice Eiseman
At the Center for Color Information and Training, we’ve been conducting word-association color studies for years. We show people a swatch of color and ask them to identify their immediate feelings upon seeing it.
In general, warmer tones make people feel happier than cool tones -- but that’s not always the case. And even an accessory in the right hue, like a bracelet or a handbag, can boost your mood. This is valuable information.
Here are a few things to keep in mind about colors and mood the next time you’re standing in front of your closet:
Brick -- which has yellow undertones -- is more upbeat than cool blue-red. Interestingly, several studies, including one published in the journal Nature, found that athletes win more events when they wear red rather than blue, possibly because of red’s energizing effects.
Oranges & Yellows
These hues are universally uplifting -- and not just bright dandelion yellows or ice-pop oranges. Even a more muted shade can give you a sunnier outlook. When I’m feeling down, I’ll reach for something peachy: It’s a cheerful, approachable color.
This color family isn’t generally associated with happiness. But shades at the warmer end of the spectrum -- like periwinkle -- can give you an emotional pick-me-up. Wearing azure, in particular, with its connection to the sea and sky, evokes feelings of fantasy and getaway. Plus, it looks good with almost every skin tone.
I never tell people to avoid certain colors entirely, but simply to be aware of their effects on mood. If you have a fabulous gray or black dress, pin on a sunny yellow broach or add a sparkly gold belt. You’ll look happier -- and likely feel more cheerful too.
Leatrice Eiseman is the director of the Eiseman Center for Color Information and Training and the author of seven books on the subject of color.
- The Long Road to Gender Equality
- How to Be a Master Multitasker
- How to Beat a Bad Mood
- How to Bounce Back Fast From a Mistake
- Calling Miss Manners
- The ABCs (and D's!) of the Bra
- Can You Afford to Be a Stay-at-Home Mom?
- Eat Smart for Healthy Hair
- Behind the Mompreneur Myth
- Challenges & Rewards of Part-Time Work
- Creative Ways to Combine Work & Family
- Stay-at-Home Moms Need a Career Plan
- Finding Hidden Moments for Me-time
- Finding the 'Me' in Motherhood
- How TV Distorts Your Body Image
- How to Comfort a Friend in Need
- Put Your Best Feet Forward
- Reinventing Yourself
- Secrets to Sneaking in More Sleep
- How to Stay Positive in Stressful Times
- The New Girlfriend Getaway
- The Self-Esteem Makeover
- It's Time to Stop Judging Yourself
- Ways to Get What You Want
- Youthful Skin Forever
- Woman's Place Is at the Pentagon
- Feel Happier: Just Change Your Shirt
- We've Come a Long Way in Wrong Direction
- How Jealous Friends Sabotage Your Health
- How to Have More Energy
- Inspiring Stories to Make You Smile
- Instant Confidence Boosters
- How to Spring-Clean Your Life
- Surprising Benefits of Pumpkin
- Top 7 Ways to Start Your Day
- A Woman's Dilemma: To Dye Or Not To Dye?
- Life & Work Lessons Every Woman Should Learn
- You'll Be Happy to Know You'll Get Happier Every Day
Woman to Woman: "Feel Happier: Just Change Your Shirt"