Woman to Woman: How Jealous Friends Sabotage Your Health
By Susan Shapiro Barash
No matter how devoted the friendship, there’s often an undercurrent of jealousy or competition.
In researching my book on female friendships, I found that this is particularly true of women. We compare ourselves to each other. We tell ourselves that we make more money, but her kids are better behaved; our house is nicer, but she’s thinner. It’s like a running balance sheet; if one friend appears to be coming out ahead, be prepared for trouble -- and possible sabotage.
If you’ve made a commitment to a health goal -- say, to lose weight, quit drinking or train for a marathon -- your friend might feel hurt, abandoned or guilty for not sharing your determination. A jealous friend may try to undermine your efforts by baking you cupcakes or begging you to skip a workout to hang out with her. After all, misery loves company.
What to Do
When faced with an obvious sabotage effort, try telling your friend, “You’re important to me and always will be. But I’m in this new place and I need you to support me and not hold me back.” A good friend will step up to the plate. If she absolutely refuses, you’ll have to make a choice. It takes a lot of courage, but you have to weigh the positive impact of the friendship versus your commitment to your own well-being.
How to Look at It
If your jealous friend continues to sabotage your commitments, it’s helpful to view her as just one of the many challenges you’ll face on your path to better health. Perhaps your new lifestyle will inspire her. If not, you can either accept her as she is or make a conscious decision to distance yourself from her.
Healthy friendships require boundaries and respect.
- The Long Road to Gender Equality
- How to Be a Master Multitasker
- How to Beat a Bad Mood
- How to Bounce Back Fast From a Mistake
- Calling Miss Manners
- The ABCs (and D's!) of the Bra
- Can You Afford to Be a Stay-at-Home Mom?
- Eat Smart for Healthy Hair
- Behind the Mompreneur Myth
- Challenges & Rewards of Part-Time Work
- Creative Ways to Combine Work & Family
- Stay-at-Home Moms Need a Career Plan
- Finding Hidden Moments for Me-time
- Finding the 'Me' in Motherhood
- How TV Distorts Your Body Image
- How to Comfort a Friend in Need
- Put Your Best Feet Forward
- Reinventing Yourself
- Secrets to Sneaking in More Sleep
- How to Stay Positive in Stressful Times
- The New Girlfriend Getaway
- The Self-Esteem Makeover
- It's Time to Stop Judging Yourself
- Ways to Get What You Want
- Youthful Skin Forever
- Woman's Place Is at the Pentagon
- Feel Happier: Just Change Your Shirt
- We've Come a Long Way in Wrong Direction
- How Jealous Friends Sabotage Your Health
- How to Have More Energy
- Inspiring Stories to Make You Smile
- Instant Confidence Boosters
- How to Spring-Clean Your Life
- Surprising Benefits of Pumpkin
- Top 7 Ways to Start Your Day
- A Woman's Dilemma: To Dye Or Not To Dye?
- Life & Work Lessons Every Woman Should Learn
- You'll Be Happy to Know You'll Get Happier Every Day
Woman to Woman: "How Jealous Friends Sabotage Your Health"