Woman to Woman: How to Have More Energy
By Catherine Ryan
Between work and family, household responsibilities and a social life, your days are packed. How do you have time to find the energy for it all? The next time you’re in need of a pick-me-up, try one of these quick and easy energy boosters. They’ll add some oomph to your attitude in less time than it takes to brew a pot of coffee.
1. Power up at breakfast.
“Starting your morning with the right fuel can increase alertness and concentration,” says Heather Mangieri, a registered dietitian and nutrition consultant in Pittsburgh. And no, a bagel or donut doesn’t cut it -- refined carbs may deliver a spike of energy, but a crash quickly follows.
Instead, make breakfast a combination of complex carbohydrates, protein and healthy, unsaturated fat. Think whole-grain cereal with low-fat milk, topped with fruit and almonds, or two scrambled eggs with veggies and a slice of whole-wheat toast. The nutrients take longer to digest, giving you sustained energy until lunch.
2. Sniff a stimulating scent.
Keep a bottle of citrus or peppermint essential oil in your desk drawer and take a whiff whenever you need a pick-me-up. Or pop a peppermint or lemon drop candy or a stick of mint gum. Citrus aromas (such as grapefruit and lemon) and peppermint have been shown to trigger increased activity in areas of the brain associated with alertness, according to a study in the International Journal of Neuroscience. After smelling the fragrances, participants also performed math problems faster and felt less anxious.
3. Wear bright colors or decorate with them.
Looking at bright hues stimulates the brain and makes you feel more alert, according to the journal Color Research and Application. Red may be particularly helpful, especially if you need energy to focus on a complicated project, says Norbert Schwarz, a professor of psychology at the University of Michigan. In a study, people who looked at red shapes on a computer screen answered questions more accurately than those gazing at blue ones. Why? Red hues can signal caution, which may make you more detail-oriented.
4. Turn on the radio.
Music is a near-instant way to put more pep in your step. Researchers at London’s Brunel University found that when study participants listened to upbeat songs while jogging, they exercised 15 percent longer and reported feeling happier than those who worked out in silence. Fast-paced music may subconsciously push us to step up our efforts, but you don’t have to be on a treadmill to reap the benefits. Cue up a dance-worthy playlist next time you have a marathon errand-running session or need to zip through your to-do list.
5. Organize your space.
A kitchen full of dirty dishes or papers strewn around your office could contribute to your lethargy. “When you clear out or give order to your surroundings, you feel more in control, letting you focus more energy on other things,” says Regina Leeds, author of One Year to an Organized Life. Tidying up a small area can also give you a sense of accomplishment, which helps feed your motivation to tackle other tasks on your to-do list, she says.
No matter what your to-do list or day holds, these tricks can help boost your energy and ward off that midday -- or morning or evening -- slump.
- The Long Road to Gender Equality
- How to Be a Master Multitasker
- How to Beat a Bad Mood
- How to Bounce Back Fast From a Mistake
- Calling Miss Manners
- The ABCs (and D's!) of the Bra
- Can You Afford to Be a Stay-at-Home Mom?
- Eat Smart for Healthy Hair
- Behind the Mompreneur Myth
- Challenges & Rewards of Part-Time Work
- Creative Ways to Combine Work & Family
- Stay-at-Home Moms Need a Career Plan
- Finding Hidden Moments for Me-time
- Finding the 'Me' in Motherhood
- How TV Distorts Your Body Image
- How to Comfort a Friend in Need
- Put Your Best Feet Forward
- Reinventing Yourself
- Secrets to Sneaking in More Sleep
- How to Stay Positive in Stressful Times
- The New Girlfriend Getaway
- The Self-Esteem Makeover
- It's Time to Stop Judging Yourself
- Ways to Get What You Want
- Youthful Skin Forever
- Woman's Place Is at the Pentagon
- Feel Happier: Just Change Your Shirt
- We've Come a Long Way in Wrong Direction
- How Jealous Friends Sabotage Your Health
- How to Have More Energy
- Inspiring Stories to Make You Smile
- Instant Confidence Boosters
- How to Spring-Clean Your Life
- Surprising Benefits of Pumpkin
- Top 7 Ways to Start Your Day
- A Woman's Dilemma: To Dye Or Not To Dye?
- Life & Work Lessons Every Woman Should Learn
- You'll Be Happy to Know You'll Get Happier Every Day
Woman to Woman: "How to Have More Energy"