Woman to Woman: Instant Confidence Boosters
By Sandra Ramani
A bad hair day, a wobble on stilettos or a sudden onset of the sweats can send confidence levels south. And it can be worse when those snafus happen during an important meeting or a hot date. We corralled a bunch of experts -- from doctors to stylists -- for their quick tips on tackling seven esteem sinkers.
1. Walk Tall
You've got the perfect shoes to go with that dress -- now you just have to walk in them. If you're feeling less than steady on heels, you can achieve proper balance through visualization, says Elisabeth Halfpapp, co-founder of the Exhale wellness centers across the country.
Practice first in bare feet. Stand tall and line the middle of your ears over your shoulders, keeping your chin parallel to the floor. Shoulder should be in line with hips. Keep hips over the knees and the knees over the ankle. Allow your tail to drop -- no tucking! And avoid pitching your body forward. Keeping your chin parallel to the floor, begin walking on the balls of your feet. “Place one foot in front of the other in a parallel stance, similar to a runway model, which can help keep balance,” says Halfpapp.
2. Hair Rx
If your do is having an off day, fake it, suggests Gina Pieper, artistic director of the Empire Education Group, a network of cosmetology educational centers. For instant style, add a clip-on hairpiece. For instant modern style, pick up a braided headband. Sweep hair into a loose pony and tease at the crown for a bit of volume. Pull the bottom of the headband behind ears for a more natural look, says Pieper. You can also try clip-on bangs or a long, sexy pony for a fast fix and a new look. Just make sure to match the pieces perfectly with your hair color.
3. Get a Leg up
These days, daring to bare -- your legs -- is a fashion do. But what can you do if your gams aren’t as glam as you’d like? Camouflage uneven skin tone and disguise bumps by applying a blend of your foundation and daily moisturizer, says Pieper. Start with 1/3 part makeup, 2/3 parts moisturizer. Play with the ratio to get the perfect coverage for you. "For visible veins or scars, concealer works miracles,” she says. Just beware that your legs may be a different shade than your face; check the applications in natural light.
4. Wake up
Feeling beat? Fake bright eyes with an application of a light-reflecting concealer one shade lighter than the skin tone, recommends Achelle Dunaway, veteran makeup artist and product developer. "This will create an illuminating effect to wake up eyes,” she says. Another option: Apply white eyeliner to the corners.
5. Stay Dry
Never let them see you sweat: "The ingredients that keep underarms dry have the same effect to the parts of the face that have the most glands,” says celebrity makeup artist Joanna Schlip. Slick a thin layer of clear, unscented deodorant across along your hairline and upper lip -- where makeup tends to melt. Follow with your favorite matte makeup look.
6. Banish Bad Breath
The result of excess bacteria in the mouth, bad breath can be the cause of many factors, including dry mouth. Pop some sugar-free candy or gum to keep the juices flowing and keep dryness at bay. “Always brush twice a day, floss daily and use an oral rinse to help kill odor-causing bacteria," say Dr. Elisa Mello of NYC Smile Design, a cosmetic dental practice.
7. Get Rid of Redness
Excitement, hot temperatures and drinking alcohol can all trigger a flushed face. If redness appears before a special event, Dunaway suggests washing with a gentle cleanser the night before, using your hands instead of a washcloth, which can be an exfoliator. On the big day, apply a green-based concealer to spot-cover any red areas. (Green neutralizes red for a more natural look.) To calm skin, you can also place your foundation in the freezer a few minutes before applying.
- The Long Road to Gender Equality
- How to Be a Master Multitasker
- How to Beat a Bad Mood
- How to Bounce Back Fast From a Mistake
- Calling Miss Manners
- The ABCs (and D's!) of the Bra
- Can You Afford to Be a Stay-at-Home Mom?
- Eat Smart for Healthy Hair
- Behind the Mompreneur Myth
- Challenges & Rewards of Part-Time Work
- Creative Ways to Combine Work & Family
- Stay-at-Home Moms Need a Career Plan
- Finding Hidden Moments for Me-time
- Finding the 'Me' in Motherhood
- How TV Distorts Your Body Image
- How to Comfort a Friend in Need
- Put Your Best Feet Forward
- Reinventing Yourself
- Secrets to Sneaking in More Sleep
- How to Stay Positive in Stressful Times
- The New Girlfriend Getaway
- The Self-Esteem Makeover
- It's Time to Stop Judging Yourself
- Ways to Get What You Want
- Youthful Skin Forever
- Woman's Place Is at the Pentagon
- Feel Happier: Just Change Your Shirt
- We've Come a Long Way in Wrong Direction
- How Jealous Friends Sabotage Your Health
- How to Have More Energy
- Inspiring Stories to Make You Smile
- Instant Confidence Boosters
- How to Spring-Clean Your Life
- Surprising Benefits of Pumpkin
- Top 7 Ways to Start Your Day
- A Woman's Dilemma: To Dye Or Not To Dye?
- Life & Work Lessons Every Woman Should Learn
- You'll Be Happy to Know You'll Get Happier Every Day
Woman to Woman: "Instant Confidence Boosters"