Woman to Woman: Surprising Benefits of Pumpkin
By Dana Wagner
If you’re like most women, you think of pumpkin just twice a year: once as a glorified candleholder come Halloween and then again as the indulgent finishing touch to your Thanksgiving dinner feast. But this big orange orb is actually one of nature’s nutritional powerhouses -- it’s packed with more than 100 therapeutic nutrients that can boost your beauty routine and enhance your health, including skin-protecting beta-carotenes and disease-fighting antioxidants.
Here are the top reasons this gourd’s goodness is a treat you should indulge in all year.
Pumpkin packs a powerful one-two punch when it comes to skin care, says dermatologist Audrey Kunin. It contains powerful alpha hydroxy acids, a natural fruit acid that helps lift away old skin cells to reveal a radiant, more luminous complexion, plus vitamin A, which helps increase the rate of cell renewal to unveil younger-looking, softer skin.
Defend Against Disease
One of the most nutrient-rich foods out there, pumpkin is packed with disease-fighters, especially a turbo-charged combination of carotenoids, says Dr. William Clower, author of The Fat Fallacy. According to Clower, the National Cancer Institute estimates that up to 30 percent of all cancers can be prevented by eating the right foods, such as those rich in carotene, like pumpkin (just a 1/2 cup serving satisfies twice the recommended intake of alpha-carotene and 100 percent of beta-carotene).
Up Your UV Protection
There’s a reason your mom made you finish your carrots: Like our friend the pumpkin, they’re loaded with beta-carotenes, an antioxidant with serious oomph. Not only is beta-carotene responsible for pumpkin’s lovely, deep-orange color, it also provides potent protection against free-radical damage caused by the sun’s harmful rays. Applied topically, pumpkin extract can even enhance the effect of sunscreen and shield skin from other environmental factors, including air pollution, stress and secondhand smoke.
Make Every Night Date Night
The spicy scent of pumpkin is a surefire way to inject some sizzle into those stay-at-home evenings with your guy. According to studies at the Smell & Taste Treatment and Research Foundation, the smell of pumpkin is probably one of your man’s top-rated aphrodisiacs. It’s also been proved to increase sexual functionality in both men and women -- one more reason to serve pumpkin ice cream or light a pumpkin candle on a random Tuesday night.
Think Faster and Better
Want a no-fuss, no-muss alternative to the sometimes-awkward gourd? Try pumpkin seeds; they’re notable for being a great source of zinc and omega-3 fatty acids, both of which not only help promote healthy bone density but can also sharpen your brain skills.
Rich in essential fatty acids, pumpkin is an effective way to diminish fine lines and wrinkles, says skin care expert Kimara Ahnert. It’s also loaded with vitamin C, which has been proved to spur collagen production and prevent the breakdown of elastin. Pumpkins are also jam-packed with sodium hyaluronate to help hydrate and plump skin.
Improve Oral Care
Looking to improve your dental care? Try a little pumpkin seed oil when cooking; it’s used to effectively help with the prevention of cavities and tooth decay.
Dana Wagner has held positions at Vogue and Gotham, and she is the fashion and beauty director of Bridal Guide magazine.
- The Long Road to Gender Equality
- How to Be a Master Multitasker
- How to Beat a Bad Mood
- How to Bounce Back Fast From a Mistake
- Calling Miss Manners
- The ABCs (and D's!) of the Bra
- Can You Afford to Be a Stay-at-Home Mom?
- Eat Smart for Healthy Hair
- Behind the Mompreneur Myth
- Challenges & Rewards of Part-Time Work
- Creative Ways to Combine Work & Family
- Stay-at-Home Moms Need a Career Plan
- Finding Hidden Moments for Me-time
- Finding the 'Me' in Motherhood
- How TV Distorts Your Body Image
- How to Comfort a Friend in Need
- Put Your Best Feet Forward
- Reinventing Yourself
- Secrets to Sneaking in More Sleep
- How to Stay Positive in Stressful Times
- The New Girlfriend Getaway
- The Self-Esteem Makeover
- It's Time to Stop Judging Yourself
- Ways to Get What You Want
- Youthful Skin Forever
- Woman's Place Is at the Pentagon
- Feel Happier: Just Change Your Shirt
- We've Come a Long Way in Wrong Direction
- How Jealous Friends Sabotage Your Health
- How to Have More Energy
- Inspiring Stories to Make You Smile
- Instant Confidence Boosters
- How to Spring-Clean Your Life
- Surprising Benefits of Pumpkin
- Top 7 Ways to Start Your Day
- A Woman's Dilemma: To Dye Or Not To Dye?
- Life & Work Lessons Every Woman Should Learn
- You'll Be Happy to Know You'll Get Happier Every Day
Woman to Woman: "Surprising Benefits of Pumpkin"